UBB.threads
Posted By: Geoff Ward New spike - 04/15/2011 06:29 AM
Hey guys,I'm so exited I just got my first officers spike private purchase! complete with carrying case and cloth cover I'll post pics of the case and cover later.Its not "Mint" but neither am I ! P.S.I am doing the Spongebob squarepants War cry as I type!! olololololoo!!!!!
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: New spike - 04/15/2011 06:57 AM
spike

Attached picture officers.jpg
Posted By: ssfeldgendarme Re: New spike - 04/15/2011 12:10 PM
Very nice.
Posted By: James LeBrasseur Re: New spike - 04/15/2011 12:47 PM
Nice looking spiked helmet!

James
Posted By: WWII Re: New spike - 04/15/2011 01:47 PM
Geoff,

It's always good to have at least one of these neat old helmets - no matter what kind of German military items one collects. Looks like that Prussian is in fine condition, congratulations!

Yes please ... more snaps when you get a chance ... grin

Best!

Bill
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: New spike - 04/20/2011 07:08 AM
case & cover

Attached picture case 1.jpg
Attached picture case 2.jpg
Attached picture cover 1.jpg
Attached picture cover 2.jpg
Attached picture cover 3.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: New spike - 04/21/2011 09:31 PM
Geoff,

That looks like an outstanding set, now I can see why you were so excited.

Hope this might be the first of many more to come! wink

Bill
Posted By: Mikee Re: New spike - 04/21/2011 09:58 PM
Nice helmet, you got me excited to. I only have one myself, but wish I had more! So welcome to the "one spike helmet club". Congratulations!
Posted By: Krullies Re: New spike - 04/21/2011 11:37 PM
Gosh Geoff, thats truly stunning, the helmet AND the box AND the cover? Surely must be rare that set ... I have none, so thanks for sharing yours, I can only add 2 postcards that show helmets like that, I like these very much! Two drawings .. One, of the Kaiser ..

And the other, of a young girl, to promote the war as the good, honest, fair, thing, and the Sieg that had to come, but never did.

Bye,
KR
Posted By: SteveRay Re: New spike - 04/22/2011 02:51 AM
Very nice sir.
Storage case AND camo cover. Cant get any better than that.
Steve
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: New spike - 04/22/2011 06:00 AM
Thank you all for the nice comments,I do have a question as I am a new guy to Imperial.In the last photo of the helmet cover.you can see the brim section and the rear part of the cover.these sections are sewn around some type of stiff lining.It has broken apart but you can feel the broken pieces within.Was this typical for all covers?
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: New spike - 04/22/2011 06:14 AM
Hello Krullies,Very nice postcards!.I noticed the girl has flowers in her hair.I have seen funeral cards for soldiers and many Bavarian soldiers had flowers in their photographs(while they had their portraits taken).Was this a "Bavarian"thing?G.
Posted By: WWII Re: New spike - 04/22/2011 09:07 AM
Geoff,

I'd say more of a German tradition ... sprigs of evergreens,
oak leaves, edelweiss and other flowers can all be seen to festoon helmets and headgear as well as uniforms.

KR- the postcards make for a fine addition to Geoff's thread, thanks!

B~
Posted By: Krullies Re: New spike - 04/22/2011 10:07 AM
Hi Geoff! Sorry you ask things I dont know anything about, I can show the back of the card though! Maybe that tells something? I think maybe William is right? I dont think its a mourning-card, but, Im afraid I dont know ..

Thanks William

Bye,
KR
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: New spike - 04/24/2011 10:55 PM
I must have done something good somewhere.Its strange how things happen.I am by no means an expert but I picked this up yesterday
from the same gentleman I got the officers spike from.all comments are welcome.Geoff.

Attached picture Prussian EM.jpg
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: New spike - 04/24/2011 10:56 PM
cover

Attached picture Prussian EM cover.jpg
Posted By: ssfeldgendarme Re: New spike - 04/24/2011 11:20 PM
Awesome helmet. Wish I could "find" this stuff.
Harry
Posted By: lloyd Re: New spike - 04/25/2011 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: ssfeldgendarme
Awesome helmet. Wish I could "find" this stuff.
Harry

ME TOO!
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: New spike - 04/25/2011 02:36 AM
These Items are from a collector of 50 years.He has decided to part with his collection.I was the lucky one to be there at the right time.There will be more posts as I obtain the rest of the collection.A wonderful person whose Grandfather was a soldier in Germany during WW1.I will need help from you all as I am not an expert in this field.All comments welcome.G.
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: New spike - 04/25/2011 04:45 PM
So excited I forgot my glasses.I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of the collection.The Prussian E.M.is named on the underside of the front visor to W.Bartsch
Posted By: WWII Re: New spike - 04/25/2011 10:44 PM
Geoff,

For those who persevere through the ripoffs, high prices and the other drawbacks to our hobby, sometimes there's a pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow ... grin

It's great to see when that 'payoff' finally happens for a fellow-collector, I'm sure that all who read your thread are cheering on your fortune and luck! Hopefully you're in a good financial position to take full advantage of this 'golden opportunity,' because as you already know, they don't come round all that often ...

Your new helmet looks like an excellent example to add to your collection and know this, we're all cheering you on and trust you keep making good decisions like these two lovely helmets.
Please keep us posted ... wink

Best!

Bill
Posted By: Krullies Re: New spike - 04/26/2011 09:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Geoff Ward
I must have done something good somewhere.Its strange how things happen...

Oh my, yes you must have, and yes they surely do happen strangely very very often! But strange can be nice too, like this new helmet?! Supershots! Truly great to see them here!! Surely they both together make a great display, no?! And again with the cover! Very nice!! Thanks again for showing! Fingers crossed for more?

Originally Posted By: Krullies
...you ask things I dont know anything about,..

Over the last some days, I was thinking, about what I do know about flowers, and your question. Well, like I said, I realy don't think the little girls flowers are there to mourn. They are Leucanthemums, I think daisies in english. leukos means "white" and anthemon means "flower", so, for purity, rightness, things Germany believed Germany stands for back then. Also, Edelwei�, told about here.

But, you ask about tradition. Then, maybe you talk about cornflowers? The Kornblum, was THE symbol of Preu�en, and Deutschtums, it was the favourite flower of Wilhelm I, or Wilhelm Friedrich Ludwig von Preu�en. Actuly sometimes familywise, Asteraceae, also not rightly called daisy. More here.

But, Pickelhauben! I found another great shot! here's Kaiser Wilhelm II with members AND mascot (!) of the Alexander-Garde-Grenadier-Regiment! I love this card! So much to see, and the goat is greatness!! The regiment is also called "Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 1" or "Alexandriner Genadiers" among other namings. That Regiment, is the oldest and most traditional German army (Preu�isch to be exact) part. It was formed May 1st 1626 under Georg Wilhelm Brandenburg. When formed it counted 3000 man. The Regiment ended May 9 1945, when the last Regiment Grenadiers capitulated with the fall of the 3rd Reich (Alexandriner Grenadiers 67 "Generaloberst von Seeckt").

Enjoy,
KR

Description: Pickelhauben!
Attached picture Kaiser_und_Alexander_Garde_1.jpg
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: New spike - 04/27/2011 05:34 AM
Hello Krullies,Thank you so much for your posts.I did not mean to say the girl was in mourning but rather observe that a large stack of mostly Bavarian funeral announcements I came across all seemed to have many flowers on the soldiers photos.I was not sure if this was a Bavarian practice or a German tradition.A very Interesting post you made describes special flowers for soldiers from a particular region.This makes perfect sense.If there was a regiment from my area today their emblem would would have been the Crayfish!Thank you for the beautiful pictures of the postcards and comments.Geoff.
© Your new forums