UBB.threads
Posted By: derjager Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/12/2010 03:53 AM
An ottoman Turkish award (Harp Madalyasi), won and worn by Germans and many examples produced by Germans.

--dj--Joe

The pin appears to have been a replacement at some time in it's life.

Attached picture dj4.JPG
Attached picture dj6.JPG
Attached picture dj3.JPG
Posted By: WWII Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/12/2010 10:56 AM
Joe,

New pin or not, that's a lovely example. Did you get a new camera? Those shots are primo my friend!

Bill
Posted By: R.R Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/12/2010 04:08 PM
Very nice german made example Joe.
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/14/2010 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: WWII
Joe,

New pin or not, that's a lovely example. Did you get a new camera? Those shots are primo my friend!

Bill

Thanks Bill, same camera. My wife discovered that the ASR setting worked best. grin

--dj--Joe
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/14/2010 12:10 AM
Originally Posted By: R.R
Very nice german made example Joe.

Thanks Ricardo. smile

-------------------

There has to be more of these out there in collections. I'd sure like to see some other examples. smile

--dj--Joe
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/15/2010 06:59 PM
I'll post an example on a stick pin in hopes of generating more interest and hoping to stimulate others to post their awards.

--dj--Joe

Attached picture dj25.JPG
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/30/2010 03:26 AM
This miniature is the last example I have.

Someday If I'm lucky I may get a Godet or a Beco marked piece or even a J. H. Werner. cool

Would really be great to see some other examples. whistle

--dj--Joe

Attached picture --dj-- 212.JPG
Attached picture --dj-- 29.JPG
Posted By: WWII Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/30/2010 10:25 AM
DJ,

Hopefully a nice Godet will come your way soon, I know you've been searching a fair while for just the right one. Good things come to those who wait, right? wink

Sorry I don't have a nice Halbmond to add to the thread, wish I did. I know Matt Calderone had several beautiful examples over the last few years as they're a favorite of his.

Methinks that things will start to pick up again shortly here on the forums, summer's closing fast.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say thanks for all your hard work here on the various forums; cross-referencing data from related threads, reviving interesting topics and straightening things out in general ... nice work sir!

one more thing ... please thank your wife for figuring out the camera settings. smile

Best!

B~
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/31/2010 01:10 AM
Thank you Bill. I will pass along your thanks to my wife.

Regards, --dj--Joe
Posted By: goldfasan Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 09/08/2010 04:53 PM
Heres one not seen to often a screw back attachment -

Attached picture MVC-032S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-031S.JPG
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 09/08/2010 11:57 PM
A very nice piece. cool Thanks, I appreciate seeing it.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/18/2014 04:59 AM
Any one have other examples to show?

--dj--Joe
Posted By: Tristan Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/18/2014 04:15 PM
I'm rater embarrassed to show this one because of my photographic skills, but in the interests of keeping the thread going here we go. No marks on the reverse.

Attached picture imperial 003.jpg
Attached picture imperial 006.jpg
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/18/2014 08:22 PM
Tristan,
I have seen the reverse hardware setup before so a manufacturer may be identified from that by someone who knows these awards.

I have no camera skills just a smart camera.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/05/2023 08:08 PM
Any other examples? Anyone?

--dj--Joe
Posted By: wotan Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/23/2023 02:36 PM
Hello derjager,
my grandvater got bestowed the Star of Gallipoli = Iron Crescent during his duty in the Austrian Imperial Army, in support of the turkish forces. He was member of the Autrian Expeditionskorps and was responsible in transport matters. The bestowal (a lot of comrades did get the Iron Crescent) took place at Konstantinopel on 20.May 1918. Although I have been told that this kind of Iron Crescent would be a german edition I can hardly believe that my grandfather would have bought this one as replacement for the original one afterwards, but who knows.
What only few collectors are aware of is, that there is a medal ribbon with this decoration (for a ribbon bar) and the soldiers who got this decoration got also a kind of cardboard frame for showing the bestowed with his decoration at home.
Regards,

Attached picture front.JPG
Attached picture rev.JPG
Attached picture medal ribbon.JPG
Attached picture frame.JPG
Attached picture photo.JPG
Posted By: wotan Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/23/2023 02:39 PM
What also might be unknown, there has been an award bag for it (seen at a ratisbons auction).
Regards,

Attached picture r.JPG
Posted By: Dave Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/23/2023 02:43 PM
Thanks, Wotan,

That would be rare !

Dave
Posted By: derjager Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/24/2023 12:28 AM
Wotan,
Nice family award. With the award, ribbon, picture, and frame you have a nice display.
I had not seen the cardboard picture frame before nor was I aware of the paper packet.
Informative post.

Thanks, --dj--Joe
Posted By: wotan Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/25/2023 09:59 PM
Until I saw the bag at ratisbonĀ“s I also did not know that these exist. I am not sure if this bag is a turkish fabrication, at least the decoration which came in this group seemed to be from tukish production (laquered surface instead of enamel). But I am no expert and do not know if there have been also german produced decorations with laquered surface.

Up to now I have never seen another cardboard frame.

Cardboard, paperbag, no items of high material value like the decoration itself, but obviously very rare.
I am glad Dave and you like it.

Regards,
Posted By: Vern Re: Eiserner Halbmond / Iron Crescent. - 08/25/2023 10:26 PM
A very nice collection. I also understand that the enameled version is German manufacture while the lacquered version is Turkish.
© Your new forums