UBB.threads
Posted By: AussieDave Can you identify these medal ribbons please? - 11/21/2009 08:54 AM
I have very little on imperial medals. This bar has a few. Can you help me? I recognise EK2 1914, KVK2 w/swords, three unidentified medals, WWI Service Medal with Swords, 18 year Army Service Cross, 4 year Army Service Medal, plus another unidentified (Spanish?) medal.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Dave!

Attached picture ribbon_bar1.JPG
This second one has three at the end I don't know. Again, I would appreciate your advice.

Dave!

Attached picture Ribbon_Bar_2.JPG
The third I don't know the ribbon in positions 2, 3, 4, 7 or 8.

Dave!

Attached picture Ribbon_Bar_3.JPG
On number 4, I don't know the second or third ribbons.

Dave!

Attached picture Ribbon_Bar_4.JPG
Fifth and last, is a bar about half the usual width (I don't know why). Last two are the ones I don't know.

Dave!

Attached picture Ribbon_Bar_5.JPG
Posted By: WWII Re: Can you identify these medal ribbons please? - 11/21/2009 08:26 PM
Dave,

Some fine ribbon bars you have there. I know some of the examples you've asked about, but only a few. Here's a link where you'll likely indentify the whole lot with a bit of study.
If you're successful with your quest, could you please let us know your findings?

Thanks and best of luck!
http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/germrib.htm

Bill
Thanks for that site, Bill. It was very useful. According to it, the first bar's three unknowns in the middle were -
Prussian War Aid Cross 1917-1924,
Wurttemberg Military Merit Medal,
Baden Order of the Zahringar Lion Knight with Oakleaves and Swords
Could not find the last one.

Dave!
On the second bar -
Baden Civil Merit Medal 1738-1918 (or Wilhelm Centenery Medal 1897 - but this seems unlikely, and a Civil Service medal makes sense with 25 years public service according to the long service medals)
Could not find the last two ribbons on this bar.

Dave!
Posted By: WWII Re: Can you identify these medal ribbons please? - 11/21/2009 09:37 PM
Dave,

Glad you found it useful, I trust eventually you'll identify them all! Wink

Kind regards!

Bill
On the third bar -
Brunswick Ernst-August War Cross 1914, Combatant (does the attached device signify something here?),
Wurttemberg Military Merit Medal (but the proportions seem wrong, and what does the oakleaves signify),
Bayern Order of Military Merit with Swords (again, what does the device signify)
No luck with the last two ribbons.

Dave!
On the fourth -
No luck with second ribbon
Third is Schlesischer Eagle (2nd Class)

Dave!
On the last -
Either Bayern Ludwigs Order l or Hessen-Darmstadt Order of Phillip the Magnanimous.
Knight 1st & 2nd Class (does the swords give a clue?)
No idea for last ribbon.

Thanks Bill. I got a few steps closer, but not quite there yet, for any bar.

Dave!
Posted By: dond Re: Can you identify these medal ribbons please? - 11/21/2009 09:57 PM
Can we see the reverses of the bars please?
Dond,

No problem, I'll post them soon. Found a couple more (Austrian).
Bar 2 position 7 is Austro-Hungarian WWI veteran medal with swords
Bar 3 position 7 is Austrian Merit Cross or Bravery Medal (not in combat - no swords)
Bar 3 position 8 is Austro-Hungarian WWI veteran medal

David!
Bar 3 Back

(these pictures are not very exciting)

Dave!

Attached picture Ribbon_Bar_1_back.JPG
Bar 4 back

Dave!

Attached picture Ribbon_Bar_4_back.JPG
Bar 1 back

Dave!

Attached picture Ribbon_Bar_1_back.JPG
Bar 2 back

Dave!

Attached picture Ribbon_Bar_2_back.JPG
Bar 5 back (this is the hokey one of half height. It is not fitted to the usual ribbon mounting bar. I presume it was sewn on to a (field) uniform so as to not come off)

Dave!

Could of course be 'Made for a Movie' or similar

Attached picture Ribbon_Bar_5_back.JPG
Posted By: dond Re: Can you identify these medal ribbons please? - 11/23/2009 04:57 PM
Bars 1-3 might be "Ohio parts" bars. Typically they were made with period ribbons and devices but the hardware on the back was modern handmade by the fruadster. 1-3 exhibit signs of being this type. Very rarely do you encounter ribbon bars with those numbers of devices. Perhaps another member can verify this.
© Your new forums