UBB.threads
Posted By: Duzig Fencing cap? - 04/28/2006 03:25 AM
Hello all,
I don't think I've posted this query before but if I have my apologies. I wonder if anyone can identify for me what this cap was for. The person I obtained this cap from said he thought it was something that would be worn by someone who was in one of those fencing organizations but he wasn't sure & I have no idea. The inside of the cap has some names,dates and University names. Thanks for any info. Sorry for some reason I can't post the pic and I can't delete the message.

Duzig(Bill)
Posted By: WWII Re: Fencing cap? - 04/28/2006 08:07 AM
Bill,

Please send me the photo, I'll see if I can help..? [email protected]

Bill
Posted By: WWII Re: Fencing cap? - 04/28/2006 07:50 PM
Duzig,

We're off ... Smile

Bill

Attached picture fencecap1.jpg
Posted By: Duzig Re: Fencing cap? - 04/28/2006 07:53 PM
Hello all,
Thanks to Bill W. who posted this pic of cap for me. Again it is appreciated.
Duzig(Bill)
Posted By: WWII Re: Fencing cap? - 04/28/2006 07:59 PM
Bill,

The second time was a charm... I got false size readings on your jpeg sizes, hmm??

I'd agree that it's most likely a cap from a fencing league or club. I saw some early etchings and silhouettes and the fencer's visor caps were easy to distinguish from those funny little student's pillboxes. Your's is the first one I've seen and is a treat to see! Thanks for letting us have a look. What other interesting imperial items do you have?

Best!

W~

Attached picture fencecap2.jpg
Posted By: Duzig Re: Fencing cap? - 04/29/2006 01:12 AM
Hello again,
Thanks both for posting the pic and the information on the cap. I only have one other imperial item,a fire service badge I picked up cause it was the right price. I don't really collect imperial stuff at all it's been sitting on a shelf for a few years now,this cap came along with a luftshutz helmet and again the price was right. I thank you for your help and info regarding the cap.
Duzig(Bill)
Posted By: Duzig Re: Fencing cap? - 05/02/2006 03:23 AM
Hello again all,
Just to update this query I posted. From someone on another forum who I sent a query to I received some information. This person said that they thought this cap was a German university students cap. He said that even in the 19th century they wore a face guard when fencing and that the shape of the cap was a classic shape and style that was worn by students. Just figured I'd post that information as an update. I thank Bill(WWII)for his help and information and also thanks to the person on the other forum for his information. Any other comments or information is appreciated also.
Duzig(Bill)
© Your new forums