UBB.threads
Posted By: Gaspare Tracer Ammo? - 07/24/2021 12:06 AM
These are for my 1945 Nagant.. Is the one with the grey a tracer bullet??

Attached picture DSCN4769.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4770.JPG
Attached picture DSCN4771.JPG
Posted By: Vern Re: Tracer Ammo? - 07/24/2021 03:59 AM
No, that silver paint designates a mild steel core. Not allowed on many ranges so check first. Also, these are corrosive so clean the gun well after use. A lot of this surplus ammo is coming on the market. Most were produced in the 1950s-70s.
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Tracer Ammo? - 07/25/2021 04:02 PM
Vern,, thanks much! Mild steel core,,must have fragmented everywhere [?]...

Andy gave me a mint Russian 1945 Nagant for my birthday years ago . He had a house in the country and I went up there to site it in. He gave me boxes of both kinds of ammo... We shot probably 10 different guns that day and Many rounds...The Nagant was pretty reliable and acurate..

* So,, when do you know if its a tracer??

The rifle isn't worth much [I don't think].. I am VERY tempted to 'sporterize' it for hunting....Its a super heavy thing. I have some ideas to lighten it.. One I already did was take the folding bayo off. Might take down/off some of the fittings , wood etc. ...
Posted By: Vern Re: Tracer Ammo? - 07/25/2021 04:45 PM
Color codes are different depending on the country of origin. For WW2 USSR the colors were Red - Incendiary, Green - Tracer, Black - Armor Piercing, Black/Red - Armor Piercing Incendiary, Violet or Violet/Red - Armor Piercing Incendiary Tracer, Silver - Mild Steel Core. Warsaw Pact and post WW2 USSR Ammo added Yellow - Heavy Ball, Black/Green - Low Velocity, and replaced Black/Red with Black/Yellow for Armor Piercing Incendiary wink
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Tracer Ammo? - 07/26/2021 05:40 PM
shocked , WOW,,,ok,,,so these colors would be on the bullet itself... Vern, thanks much.... IF I could get it lighter I think it would make a good deer / personal long range rifle..
Posted By: Gaulithan Re: Tracer Ammo? - 09/30/2021 07:19 AM
I wouldn't use ammo that old. Better to leave them as on the shelf and use the newer, workable ones.
© Your new forums