UBB.threads
Posted By: rocky Japanese rifle - 09/15/2018 05:58 AM
could anyone tell me the translation on the stock. I was told it is a Navy rifle. These are all the pics I have. I don't have them of the entire rifle. To me the stock looks like it was sanded. It looks a little lighter than the ones I am used to seeing.

Thanks,
Rocky

Attached picture IMG_0081.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0083.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0084.JPG
Posted By: FrankUSMC Re: Japanese rifle - 09/25/2018 09:20 PM
That is a school training rifle!!! DO NOT SHOOT IT!!!! it will ad more excitement then you want out of life!
All schools in pre war Japan had to teach rifle drill to the male students. Japan did not have enough rifles. The training rifles were made by Mom and Pop manufacturers. They have not been heat treated, they are only meant to shoot blanks or just make a click noise.
I think this is where the rumor started that Japanese guns were junk, as the schools turned in the rifles, and a lot were given out as war trophies..the vet got home put a live round in it...BOOM!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Posted By: FrankUSMC Re: Japanese rifle - 09/25/2018 09:26 PM
Rocky, they are collectible, just make sure it is never fired! The one I have in my collection, came with the bring back papers. The family of the veteran said he brought it back after the war and never shot it as he was not a shooter or hunter. They said, they are sure their father did not know it was a training rifle.
Posted By: FrankUSMC Re: Japanese rifle - 09/25/2018 10:35 PM
One more note, the training rifle is based on the 6.5 Japanese rifle that was used by the Navy. Maybe that is why the owner said it was a navy rifle. A very understandable mistake.
Posted By: Dave Re: Japanese rifle - 09/26/2018 01:14 AM
Very interesting.

I learned something today

I don't collect Japanese militaria* but that is interesting. I hope other will read this and not attempt to shoot one of these.

Thanks for posting

Dave

* I do have a year 6 Nambu type 14, with lanyard, and a much later late war holster complete with cleaning rod and spare striker
Posted By: Militarynut Re: Japanese rifle - 09/26/2018 09:16 PM
hi frank u.s.m.c.
thank you sir for serving well come home i have been collecting japanese rifles for at least forty years matter fact i still have at least thirty of them in the safe down florida the rifle you show is school marked and it is 6.5 call and navy marked most have smooth bores just for training purposes these navy marked japanese rifles should never be fired mater fact no japanese rifles should be fired before doing this important thing the serial number on the left side of the recceiver should match the serial number under neath the bolt if it does not match the receiver then it should never be fired untill it goes to a gun smith to check the head space on the bolt so it doesnt blow up in your face many soldiers returning from the south pacific theater got hand head injurys shooting these japanese rifles because they didnt match i remember pictured in life magizine 1946 a iowa navy veteran tieing his japanese rifle to a tree in his home town then putting a long string to the trigger and hideing behind a big tree and then pulled the string it exploded and was in pieces great lesson it could have been a terrible loss of life there just hurt the tree german rifles with a miss matched bolt will never be a problem but japanese is a no no so guys if your japanese rifle doesnt match please do not fire it hope this lesson helps some one here god bless andy militarynut
Posted By: nicholascam Re: Japanese rifle - 08/16/2021 11:49 AM
Sorry to raise the topic; I'm very interested if such rifles can be ordered or bought somehow. I just recently started collecting weapons. But the most important thing for me is that it can withstand, as they say, HST rounds, and to be more precise, that nothing happens to it in a couple of years. Since this is very important for me because I buy some weapons that I don't even shoot with because I want them to always be brand new. So if you tell me where you can purchase such weapons, I will be very grateful and grateful, and I hope that I did not bother anyone with my message.
© Your new forums