UBB.threads
Posted By: the russian Death Head Luger - 05/04/2014 11:40 PM
A 1918 Death Head Luger - about 95% of Death Head Luger were 1918 and the rest were 1917. The meaning of the death head is unknown - tank unit, flamethrower, assault troops, a german failure to accept mark, and on and on. My opinion is that they were for a new unit formed late in the war, hence the 1917 and 1918 marks. My view is that of flamethrower unit or the assault troops. This weapon is all matching including the magazine.

Attached picture MVC-009S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-010S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-011S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-012S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-013S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-014S.JPG
Posted By: the russian Re: Death Head Luger - 05/04/2014 11:45 PM
A better picture of the death head

Attached picture MVC-016S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-015S.JPG
Posted By: Vern Re: Death Head Luger - 05/05/2014 01:46 AM
Nice condition and a very rare Luger! A 1916 dated example is shown in the GDC Reference Gallery. Thanks for sharing!!
Posted By: timboo Re: Death Head Luger - 05/05/2014 03:03 AM
All kinds of theories on these, but nothing proven. Most folks feel the majority of these floating around are fakes. I'm not implying that the Russians is a fake! I'm not qualified to make that opinion. That's very nice Luger!
Posted By: Vern Re: Death Head Luger - 05/05/2014 05:52 AM
Because these can be found with either the DWM scroll or the Erfurt and Crown mark on the toggle, many classify them as post WW1 rework Lugers. Reference "Lugers at Ramdom" and "The Luger Book".
Posted By: the russian Re: Death Head Luger - 05/05/2014 11:53 AM
Thank you Vern, know what I will be reading tonight!!
Posted By: Vern Re: Death Head Luger - 05/05/2014 12:33 PM
I've had the books for quite a while but just read through them to build the Luger Galleries. Lots of good information I either missed or forgot over the years wink They're a good read!
Posted By: timboo Re: Death Head Luger - 05/05/2014 03:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Vern
Because these can be found with either the DWM scroll or the Erfurt and Crown mark on the toggle, many classify them as post WW1 rework Lugers. Reference "Lugers at Ramdom" and "The Luger Book".

I've read/heard that in many places including the Standard Catalog of Luger, but have also hear others that say some of the death head psitols show zero signs or rework so they don't buy into it being a rework mark. It's kind of hard to believe there's no documented proof.
Posted By: Dow Cross Re: Death Head Luger - 05/06/2014 06:33 PM
Unfortunately a good number of these DH Lugers are fakes. A fellow from AZ by the name of Ralph Shattuck who is now deceased cranked these out by the boat loads. If you really want to stand the acid test post better pictures of your DH on Jan C Still's Luger forum for opinions.
Posted By: the russian Re: Death Head Luger - 05/07/2014 09:48 AM
Thank you for the info - I knew Ralph well, but have never heard the info on the DH lugers.
Posted By: Larry C Re: Death Head Luger - 05/09/2014 12:52 AM
I always wanted to acquire one of these..you would not happen to have any extra to spare? wink
Posted By: the russian Re: Death Head Luger - 05/09/2014 07:44 PM
only one unfortunately, i'm going to post a few more unusual lugers though.
© Your new forums