UBB.threads
Posted By: John Pepera Flint Lock pistol - 01/06/2013 07:22 PM
I recently came upon this Flint Lock pistol but I have no idea what it is. There is a lion and a crown over an 8 proof marks and on the top of the barrel are two indents but I am unable to decipher their meaning or intent.

Can anyone help with an identification and value?

Thanks very much.

John Pepera
[email protected]

Attached picture a.jpg
Attached picture i.jpg
Attached picture e.jpg
Attached picture b.jpg
Attached picture d.jpg
Attached picture f.jpg
Attached picture g.jpg
Attached picture k.jpg
Attached picture m.jpg
Attached picture l.jpg
Posted By: Mikee Re: Flint Lock pistol - 01/07/2013 12:34 AM
Sorry just a quick guess. Looks like a British East India company, lion holding a crown mark, with proof and inspector marks.
Posted By: Dave Re: Flint Lock pistol - 01/07/2013 01:19 AM
With a swivel ramrod and a circle for a lanyard, it is almost certainly one made for their sea service.

The East India Company, "John Company", controlled vast areas of India until the 1856 Indian Mutiny* and had what was their own navy. After 1856, the Brits took over.

Dave

* Apologies to members from India as they probably have a different name for that.
Posted By: Mikee Re: Flint Lock pistol - 01/07/2013 04:27 AM
Not stating it's the case here because I don't know, but be careful of replicas coming out of Afganistan.
Posted By: Vern Re: Flint Lock pistol - 01/07/2013 02:11 PM
Reference books I have call it an East India Cavalry pistol Model 1820 made for native cavalry units from 1820-40. Produced in England and Belgium for the East India Company. If Belgium made, proof marks are under the breech, English marks are on the side of the barrel and should have both "V" (view) and "P" (proof) marks. Usually sell in the $400-750 range depending on condition and maker wink
Posted By: John Pepera Re: Flint Lock pistol - 01/12/2013 02:38 AM
Thank you all very much.

John
© Your new forums