UBB.threads
Hi guys, I hope I'm posting this question in the right forum... I think I know the story behind the shepherd boy and the little bell, but I'm curious as to how this came into U.S. Military history...is it for pilots or seamen? Did they discover this among the people in the shops or streets in Capri or Naples in 44? I'm curious, as one coming from a very distinct and discriminating saint-and-miracle or "specific intended use" religious background myself, ...as to whether this was a general good luck talisman, or did the U.S. Servicemen connect it to a certain service, role, or miraculous event /hope of their own?
Posted By: Jim W Re: The lucky little bell of san Michelle (capri) - 09/13/2015 06:42 PM
Just from what I read, the pilots would take their R&R on the island where the monks would make and sell these bells. They bought them for good luck. But I am far from a historian. Perhaps others can add to this.
That was my understanding they were from the isle of Capri, many of the 15th AAF guys picked them up and attached them to their leather A-2 jacket collars for protection.
Interesting..thank you Jim and jerry!
© Your new forums