UBB.threads
Posted By: James LeBrasseur Dating a KABAR - 08/18/2015 08:34 PM
Guy's is there a way to date a USMC Kabar?

this one just got offered to me, thanks

James

Attached picture ResizedImage_1439851590728.jpg
Attached picture ResizedImage_1439851590192.jpg
Posted By: Mr. Jerry Re: Dating a KABAR - 08/19/2015 04:00 AM
That is one of the more modern ones.
Some say Vietnam, but also very similar to ones that the desert war Marines were carrying. These are still readily available today.

Older ones don't have the EGA on the scabbard and use staples instead of rivets.
Posted By: James LeBrasseur Re: Dating a KABAR - 08/19/2015 11:46 AM
Many thanks Jerry, I learned something new today thanks to you!

James
Posted By: FrankUSMC Re: Dating a KABAR - 11/28/2015 02:51 AM
These Kbars are sold in the PX and by knife venders, they are not the ones issued to Marines.
The Kbars we are or were issued (been retired for awhile) had plain wider scabbards, that were also more heavy duty then the scabbard pictured.
The knife itself would not USMC on it like that, all the originals I have just have the makers name on them.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Posted By: Mr. Jerry Re: Dating a KABAR - 12/01/2015 02:25 AM
Not to argue with a Marine (you won't win) but there are WW2 examples with USMC on them as well as ones with USN for the Navy guys. Now I am sure Ka-Bar also made them with blank sides as well. - They later went to the "Guard markings" with the Mfgr and MK2 USMC on the crossguards. That might be what Frank is thinking of- then you only see it if you point it at yourself.
Posted By: FrankUSMC Re: Dating a KABAR - 12/01/2015 12:07 PM
Mr. Jerry, you are a 100% correct, but this example that was shown is a current k-bar. I was looking back about 50 years.
I have a WWII K-bar that is USMC marked, also the WWII k-bar I have is not marked that deep into the knife.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: Dating a KABAR - 12/02/2015 08:10 AM
I have a relic condition WW2 K-Bar that is USMC marked.

Appears the one posted above is not military issue.
© Your new forums