UBB.threads
Posted By: zorro Confederate Sword ? - 04/28/2011 01:04 AM
I picked up this sword today at a garage sale.It did not cost much and I decided to roll the dice on it.I liked it because it was in such bad shape and did not have a mark of anykind on it.Is it confederate or just a reproduction in bad shape.Hilt is cast brass with all kinds of flaws.Throat is brass scabbard ring mounts are brass has been painted black and gold.Scabbard is steel.Thanks for all answers [email protected]

Attached picture IMG_2718 (Small).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2719 (Small).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2720 (Small).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2721 (Small).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2722 (Small).JPG
Posted By: zorro Re: Confederate Sword ? - 04/28/2011 01:09 AM
Complete hilt

Attached picture IMG_2721 (Small).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2727 (Small).JPG
Posted By: RFI Re: Confederate Sword ? - 04/29/2011 03:57 AM
Can you post pics of the scabbrd on both sides?
Thanks!
Bob
Posted By: zorro Re: Confederate Sword ? - 04/29/2011 04:25 PM
Scabbard,I have been told this sword is a reproduction ? Thanks for the info to all.

Attached picture IMG_2757 (Small).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2755 (Small).JPG
Attached picture IMG_2756 (Small).JPG
Posted By: RFI Re: Confederate Sword ? - 04/29/2011 10:05 PM
From the pictures it appears to be a "Dog River" confederate sword.
Best Wishes,
Bob
Posted By: MSapp Re: Confederate Sword ? - 04/30/2011 12:38 AM
Can you tell about the Dog River sounds interesting.
Posted By: derjager Re: Confederate Sword ? - 05/01/2011 02:14 AM
Short answer.

As I understand.

"Dog river sword" is applied to period swords which have the characteristics of Confederate swords but are unmarked, makers unknown.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: jeff Re: Confederate Sword ? - 05/29/2011 08:05 AM
Question . does the brass seem to have an odd mix of colors. looks like the brass had other metals added & not mixed well??
many (not all) south swords have this look ; sort of a mix color of brass / copper. looks like it could be an original south sword. jeff
Posted By: zorro Re: Confederate Sword ? - 05/29/2011 03:35 PM
Originally Posted By: jeff
Question . does the brass seem to have an odd mix of colors. looks like the brass had other metals added & not mixed well??
many (not all) south swords have this look ; sort of a mix color of brass / copper. looks like it could be an original south sword. jeff
Jeff All of the fittings have been post war painted gold,the scabbard black.( I think it was post war)It will remain as found.I have been told that this was sometimes done too hang it in a G.A.R hall.Thanks for the info.
Posted By: jeff Re: Confederate Sword ? - 06/03/2011 11:52 AM
yes very possible. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination an expert. My sword was repainted totally in gold . big pain in the butt to remove but, I got it done. plus I've had several cannon balls also painted gold. jeff
© Your new forums