UBB.threads
Posted By: StarvinMarvin Tang nut markngs - 10/29/2017 10:12 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm curious how often collectors come accost tang nuts that are marked. Any other examples would be appreciated. I give credit for the first two pictures to ED (ETF). The second I'm not sure where I found it, sorry.

I've also posted this same question over in the SS forum.

Posted By: PAULZAYA Re: Tang nut markngs - 11/03/2017 02:11 PM
very nice-50 years and i never owned one. thanks paul
Posted By: StarvinMarvin Re: Tang nut markngs - 11/19/2017 04:19 PM
Two pictures posted by ZET

This picture was posted by Dave
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: Tang nut markngs - 11/20/2017 02:13 AM
To be more certain you have to be really close (ie: with greater magnification), but using the photos posted my best estimate for image # 1 is chisel and hammer by an amateur or someone less experienced. # 2 at first seems to be stamped with simple characters but instead is actually rotary engraved (like from a Dremel tool or its equivalent). # 3 also seems to be rotary engraved with a rounded bottom, but using a pantograph as a guide. # 4 appears to be performed using a hammer, chisels and punch - of a good quality that is seen with a number of traditional custom engraved hunting arms. The engraving then filled in with a black paint or chemical that conceals the tool marks, with the wood grip itself checkered in a manner very similar to that used by gun makers. Best Regards, Fred
© Your new forums