UBB.threads
Posted By: Skyline Drive Haenels with extra blackening - 01/14/2015 04:40 AM
Some years back I acquired an amazing Haenel SA. This dagger had hung on a fully decked-out SA mannequin for forty years until I acquired it. The dagger was as "mint" as any I have ever seen. It had that extra blackening that only appears on some Haenel daggers. It also had very unusual crossgrain. At the time, I wondered about the crossgraining because it was unlike your standard SA dagger. Later, I sold the dagger (which I regret) as I began to downsize my collection. Here is that dagger.

Attached picture MVC-001F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-004F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-007F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-002F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-009F.JPG
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/14/2015 04:42 AM
Flash forward to a few weeks ago when I spied an Haenel partial Rohm I just had to have. The blade was covered in cosmoline, but I could see that underneath it was sound, AND it had that special extra blackening. Here is what it looked like...

Attached picture HaenelSAdagger (1).jpg
Attached picture HaenelSAdagger (10).jpg
Attached picture HaenelSAdagger (9).jpg
Attached picture HaenelSAdagger (12).jpg
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/14/2015 04:47 AM
Here's the dagger after removing the cosmoline. And yes... it has the same unusual crossgrain. I believe it was factory done to alter the light refraction to enhance the blackening. The change gives the blade a "white" appearance that sets off the blackening.

Attached picture MVC-041F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-043F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-042F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-045F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-047F.JPG
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/14/2015 04:59 AM
So if you've got a Haenel with the extra blackening, please show it! smile
Posted By: Panzerfaust Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/14/2015 06:43 AM
Those are some fine blades man! Yes I've seen them before with the extra dark motto...
Posted By: Panzerfaust Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/14/2015 06:46 AM
https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=584

Lakesidetrader has one for sale...it has the dark motto
Wow, Mike, that red/blond gripped partial Röhm Haenel is even better than expected!

Congratulations!

I will also post a couple blackened Haenels, but need to resize the pic's first.

Best regards,

Herman
Posted By: seany Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/14/2015 11:20 PM
They are some lovely daggers, i'm not surprised you regret selling that 1st one its stunning.
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/15/2015 12:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Panzerfaust
https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=584

Lakesidetrader has one for sale...it has the dark motto

I've looked at Paul's photos and, while it has really dark burnishing, I don't think it has the "extra blackening". I could be wrong. Here is another Haenel I have that doesn't have the blackening. It is a factory ground Rohm in nearly the same condition as the first dagger. Like Paul's dagger it has really dark burnishing, but it has more typical wide crossgrain and mirror finish to the blade.

Attached picture MVC-076F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-077F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-067F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-062F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-073F.JPG
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/15/2015 01:04 AM
Here's one more pic to show the more typical crossgrain.

Attached picture MVC-074F.JPG
Posted By: Larry C Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/15/2015 12:49 PM
Hi Mike..that is a Great observation regarding the crossgrain application. These little subtleties make the hobby interesting..and also gives a producer more of a personal I identity trait. Already the Suhl producers stand out in Quality in Craftsmanship. Your Mint dagger in the first post..is quite lovely..as is your cosmoline rescue of your recent Haenel.

This producers logo is always exceptional..with it being very deep into the blade more so than others. Another producer trademark attribute. Thanks for sharing these great daggers and these unknown nuances. Regards Larry
Here are my 2 blackened Haenels: both are Röhms

Attached picture A1.JPG
Attached picture A2.JPG
Attached picture A3.JPG
Best place to observe the extra blackening is in the Arrow logo.

2nd pic shows the comparison with the logo of a regular Haenel without the extra blackening.

Best regards,

Herman

Attached picture A4.JPG
Attached picture A1.JPG
Posted By: Larry C Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/16/2015 10:23 PM
Those grips are like gazing at a nice pair of breasts..very Lovely smile
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/17/2015 04:33 AM
Herman what's the crossgrain like on those Haenels? Here are a few more pics to show the crossgraining on my partial Rohm. If you look closely at the photos of the first dagger I posted in this thread you can see that it is the same style.

Attached picture MVC-060F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-044F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-056F.JPG
HI Mike,

Today I compared my 2 "blackened" Haenels with my 2 "regular" ones, I do not really see a difference in the cross graining.

Attached picture A1.JPG
Attached picture A2.JPG
Also a side by side comparing did not reveal any difference...

It might be possible that the cross graining on all Haenels might be more white compared to other makers. That I did not check yet...

Best regards,

Herman

Attached picture A3.JPG
Attached picture A4.JPG
Posted By: stingray Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/18/2015 07:14 PM
fantastic collection Herman
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/20/2015 01:24 AM
I have a Kober that has this super dark blackened motto that looks almost painted on.. funny, it has a very "fine" crossgraining..the blade is super nice and has not been cleaned.. wonder is this is the same crossgraining you are talking about here? Suhl makers might have bought from the same sub-contractor for these blades?

Attached picture Kober 2.jpg
Attached picture Kober 3.jpg
Attached picture Kober 1.jpg
Attached picture Kober 5.jpg
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/20/2015 02:28 AM
Nice dagger! Yes, it looks like the blackened Haenels. I have a couple of Kobers that don't have the extra blackening and they have typical crossgraining. Yours is the first Kober I have seen with the extra blackening. I wonder if there are any Sauers like this?
Posted By: nats Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/20/2015 02:05 PM
I have a Gebr. Bohme with a very dark motto, nats

Attached picture SA_Bohme_Brotterode_h_(Small).jpg
Attached picture SA_Bohme_Inschrift_20_(Small).jpg
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/21/2015 04:11 AM
Nice dagger Stan! The extra blackening only appears on a handful of SA makers, including Gebr. Bohme. The crossgraining looks very fine, like the daggers I have shown. Can you give us a close-up?

Mike
Posted By: nats Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/21/2015 04:33 PM
Hi Mike, sorry I cannot get any more photos at the moment.The dagger is in the bank.The next time I go to the bank I will take some photos.
Best Regards Stan
Hello Mike,

This must be what you are referring to: extra blackening and fine cross grain!

Best regards,

Herman

Attached picture A12.jpg
Attached picture A9.jpg
Only... this one is a Kober.

Attached picture A11.jpg
Next to another one with "normal" cross grain: yes, it looks moore white!

Attached picture A1.JPG
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/21/2015 08:09 PM
That's it, Herman! The fine crossgrain changes the refraction of light which enhances the blackening.
Posted By: schwarzweissroter Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/23/2015 12:02 PM
Here 3 originals.
2 times 1st model.
1 times 2nd model from February, 1934.
Greeting

Attached picture h1.JPG
Attached picture h2.JPG
Posted By: schwarzweissroter Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/23/2015 03:42 PM
It are natural 3 HAENEL org. - no US-blades

Attached picture h1.JPG
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/25/2015 02:56 AM
I'm not quite sure what our German friend is trying to say here... but nice blades! smile
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/29/2015 02:08 AM
Hallo schwarzweissroter! Very nice Haenel's!! Interested, what is the one dagger in the middle with the black guards?? Best, Kevin.
Posted By: schwarzweissroter Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/29/2015 08:31 AM
It is the virgin - stainless.

Attached picture DOLCH xa2.jpg
Hello chwarzweissroter,

What do you mean with ?????
- "first model",
- "second model",
- "no US blades" and
- "It is the virgin - stainless"

Would be more interesting if you also show the "Haenel" marks of your blades...

Best regards,

Herman
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 01/31/2015 08:51 PM
Wow! talk about PATINA.. is that smoke residue? Was it in a burned home? Kevin.
Posted By: schwarzweissroter Re: Haenels with extra blackening - 02/01/2015 10:35 AM
Signs from CGH

Attached picture hv.JPG
© Your new forums