UBB.threads
Posted By: LH 600 SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 10:47 PM
I have this blade on one of my SA.
In the motto ALLES ......there is some variations of the "I" in the like you can see.

Have you seen that on daggers before.?
In the new book of SA daggers by Ralf Siegert page 113 there is a Sa dagger picured with some of the same signs.
Have anyone notice that before ? or is this just factory error when they etch the motto ?

All opinions welcomed.

regards LH

Attached picture IMG_0392.JPG
Posted By: LH 600 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 10:47 PM
The other picture.

LH Smile

Attached picture IMG_0407.JPG
Posted By: Mac 66 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 11:08 PM
LH, i,m pretty sure its just a factory error, maybe a monday morning job after a heavy weekend on the beer Big Grin, i,ll check a few of my SAs next week to see if any have this error in the motto, is this an early SA or RZM peice?

Regards Scott.
Posted By: LH 600 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 11:14 PM
Great Scott.
Check them out Big Grin

The dagger is a Early Gebr Bell W/unit marking at the crossguard.

Here is another tread about with pics.
The dagger is a pure beauty Wink

http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/...60093573/m/826100793

Regards LH
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 11:21 PM
Jarle:
I concur with the opinion that this is just a factory etch error. NO! The Germans wern't perfect. Roll Eyes Big Grin
Jim
Posted By: LH 600 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 11:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
Jarle:
I concur with the opinion that this is just a factory etch error. NO! The Germans wern't perfect. Roll Eyes Big Grin
Jim

Big Grin let hope the German factory worker dont get a bullet into his head for this mistake Razz
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 11:32 PM
Just an error to be sure. I've had many RZM pieces with these mistakes. You see less of these problems with earlier etches.
Posted By: LH 600 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 11:36 PM
Thank you very much for input Jim/ Ed & Scott.
I have the same feelings. But have to ask around the community of collectors
Posted By: Dave Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 11:43 PM
A piece of the acid resisting template broke off in my opinion.

Dave
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/30/2009 11:44 PM
Something got on the template during the acid etching process.

-serge-
Posted By: LH 600 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 12/31/2009 12:32 AM
Thank you all for opinions.

Regards LH
Posted By: 777 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 01/02/2010 11:44 PM
Definitely the factory error. Hand made job couldn't be always perfect, template could be damaged or worn etc. Those things were not made by computers or lasers, human mistake was an important factor. Such imperfections just happen.
Posted By: Larry C Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 01/03/2010 04:15 AM
I agree with Serge, I have seen this pimpling more on SAs that were done by smaller firms. It is true something happened during the etch process or even impurities in the steel. Even though in my opinion the smaller firms craftmanship was quite excellent but some (not all) of these "Mom and Pop shops" did have its slight shortcomings. But noticeable to us because we are looking for it. I have this same pimpling on my Gebr.Heller Larry
Posted By: Redbaron Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 01/03/2010 07:38 AM
Here's a few other motto faults, those wax templates were really fragile... I'm surprised we don't see more of these.

Red

Description: Fault 1
Attached picture SA-Fault-1.jpg
Posted By: Redbaron Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 01/03/2010 07:39 AM
Another

Description: Fault 2
Attached picture SA-Fault-2.JPG
Posted By: carlos1 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 01/03/2010 01:58 PM
realy an interesting tread.
I have to chec my SA`s and see.
Posted By: Frederick J. Stephens Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 01/05/2010 11:21 PM
LH 600,

The flaw on the etch on the second "L" of the motto on your blade is created by a portion of the "acid resist" - or some other contaminate - accruing in the area of the etch. It is uncommon, but it is noted from time to time.

The fault is not that of the person performing the etch, but of the person producing the waxed templates that are applied to the blade to permit the etch. The intaglio plate producing the waxed templates has been ineffectively cleaned, and allowed this defective result to occur.

FJS
Posted By: LH 600 Re: SA Dagger motto/ variations ? - 01/06/2010 12:18 AM
Many thanks to all of you posting in this tread with help Smile

All the best LH
© Your new forums