UBB.threads
Posted By: militarymania SA w/Damascus blade - 01/01/2012 11:06 PM
Clemen & Jung maker,,,opinions and comments on this one,,,Thanks,,Robert

Attached picture sa dagger w damascus blade  clemen and jung 2.jpg
Attached picture sa dagger w damascus blade 1.jpg
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SA w/Damascus blade - 01/01/2012 11:52 PM
The crossguards are not standard honor dagger guards and are probably postwar enhanced. C&J is often found on postwar blades, especially those with special features, such as etching, faux damascus etc. The blade is more likely to be "false damascus" than the real thing. Hard to tell from the photos. "False damascus" blades were produced in the TR period, however. The blade itself looks suspicious, due to the high center ridge and the overall shape. The early blades were masterfully done. The grip appears to be original. The scabbard has the look of the "honor" type, but reproductions of them do exist. The ball on the lower fitting doesn't look quire right. The leather should not go beneath the fittings, but should be trimmed at their edges (impossible to tell from the photos). The leather grain looks a little coarse, but, again, it is difficult to tell. Repro fittings are made from thin, light-weight sheet metal. Originals are of sterllng silver or silver-plated nickel-silver. They have weight and thickness the reproductions don't have. It would take a "hands-on" examination to pinpoint the questionable aspects of this dagger, but there are enough flags (for me, anyway) to pass on this one. I hope this is of help.
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: SA w/Damascus blade - 01/01/2012 11:59 PM
Sorry, I think itīs totally bad.

1) Ball on the lower fitting is misshapen.
2) Grip eagle looks low on the grip.
3) Grip seems misshapen, especially toward the lower fitting.
4) Blade ridge is very sharp.
5) Blade shape seems off.
6) C&J (as noted) is not the maker that you want to see on a blade like this…
7) Even the tang nut seems to be too thick.

Tough to tell from these pictures, but even if only a few of the above points are real issues, then this is one to avoid.

Good hunting,
Johnny
Posted By: Dave Re: SA w/Damascus blade - 01/02/2012 01:09 AM
Robert,

It would be good in the future if you told us where you are finding this stuff you put up for "opinions and comments on this one"

Thanks
Posted By: militarymania Re: SA w/Damascus blade - 01/02/2012 01:27 AM
Hi Dave,,,no problem,but if I remember correctly,I put up a link before on an item I was asking opinions on and it was removed...this item and the others that I have posted can be seen on the Internet,Proxibid Auctions-Pioneer Auction Gallery,
Milwaukie, OR 97267, OR 97267
503-496-0303
Posted By: Ed Martin Re: SA w/Damascus blade - 01/02/2012 06:43 PM
Nice display item until you come across a real one at a garage sale or tag sale.(It has happened but not to me ) grin
Posted By: Mark Giannullo Re: SA w/Damascus blade - 01/03/2012 02:49 PM
It HAS happened to me. I found a Gov. Official WITH correct hanger, hanging on a wall in a chicken market, in downtown Jersey City NJ. It was covered with feathers(which preserved it to Like-new condition) and cost me $400.00 to bring them BOTH homw. Happy New Year all. Peace, Mark
Posted By: Mark Giannullo Re: SA w/Damascus blade - 01/03/2012 06:25 PM
It HAS happened to me. I found a Gov. Official WITH correct hanger, hanging on a wall in a chicken market, in downtown Jersey City NJ. It was covered with feathers(which preserved it to Like-new condition) and cost me $400.00 to bring them BOTH homw. Happy New Year all. Peace, Mark
Posted By: Ed Martin Re: SA w/Damascus blade - 01/03/2012 07:48 PM
So that's were I lost my GO dagger grin
Posted By: jeff Re: SA w/Damascus blade - 01/04/2012 09:44 AM
And where I lost my chicken feathers at
© Your new forums