UBB.threads
Posted By: Pitbull63 NSKK Dagger - 12/17/2011 01:47 AM

Here are pictures of one of my NSKK Daggers made by Gebruder Grafrath, RZM 7/30. I find this piece to be interesting as it is my only NSKK with aluminum cross guards. Overall it is in good condition, and also has most of it's original paint.

Rich

Posted By: patrice Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/17/2011 02:40 AM

That is a beautiful dagger and first one that I ever see with aluminum crossguards, a rare bird for sure.
That's one dagger I would love to own.

Well done !
Posted By: jeff Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/17/2011 08:14 AM
Rich. very nice looking dagger ! very nice to see it with the double maker mark also.
aluminum cross guards are odd to find. you find them more often on N.P.E.A. daggers.
I bought a set of cross guards this way... seller thought they were fake.
Thank you for showing us !
jeff
Posted By: Larry C Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/17/2011 10:57 AM
Now heres something you dont see everyday, a beautiful conditioned transitional,,rare aluminum crossguards,, a tight grip to guard fit,,and what looks to be a Cherrywood grip! Now thats what I call a "Find"!!,,,a hard one at that!! Nice pick up Rich!! Larry
Posted By: WWII Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/17/2011 02:41 PM
Quite a looker! I'm sure most of us would love to own that fine specimen ... wink

Best!

Bill
Posted By: Mac 66 Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/17/2011 04:33 PM
Wow, very nice seldom seen maker of a Transitional NSKK dagger cool
Posted By: Dave Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/17/2011 04:41 PM
Not only a hard to find maker, but aluminum guards that won't peel. Such a deal !

Aluminum guards are seldom found and steel/iron ones are even rarer. I think these were experiments made after nickel silver became unavailable. The common zinc based injection molded with a thin plating probably turn out cheaper ... unfortunately for collectors.

Dave
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/18/2011 03:31 PM
Interesting piece! Great looking double mark with big RZM. I have the early Grafrath, love to find one like this to go with it! Congrats..Kevin.
Posted By: david walsh Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/18/2011 05:13 PM
beauty, PB!

dave if alu guards were experimental, what about scabb fittings and hanger bits? why wd. makers stop at guards? then it's really a 'no-peel deal'!

for that matter were alu scabbs ever made/offered/experimented with?
Posted By: Vassago NSKK Dagger - 12/18/2011 06:21 PM
Pitbull63 NSKK Dagger Beautiful, my congratulations for your opinion, good piece.
Posted By: Roger Jeandell aka Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/18/2011 06:59 PM
Hello Pitbull, very hard to find transitional in outstanding condition. Congrats! I have a very nice S/A RZM M7/52 [Herbertz & Meurer] with aluminum guards that I obtained years ago. It's one of my favorite S/A's! Can post pics if you like, Regards, Leipzig
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/18/2011 11:40 PM
These Transitional Gebruder Grafrath daggers are indeed not only a scarce maker in transitionals daggers but they also seem to have tried hard not to use zinc as their base medal on the cross guards.
Here is one, also a NSKK, but has what I believe exibits the Iron crossguards as mentioned by Dave.

Alongside two other daggers both in minty condition, one a transitional and the other a straight RZM, the Grafrath shows no lifting of the plating and a very smooth surface but with still plenty of luster.

Posted By: jeff Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/19/2011 08:00 AM
Only problem with aluminum guards , they can look dull real fast & get dinged up to easy. also misshapen-ed easy if some one farts around with them (ie. tries to fit them to another dagger).
jeff
Posted By: Mac 66 Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/19/2011 02:14 PM
Serge, Another absolute beauty Transitional NSKK dagger you got there wink amongst another 2 beautys cool
Posted By: JohnZ Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/19/2011 05:01 PM
Beautiful daggers, all of them in this post.

Well done, guys, and thanks for making us salivate.

John
Posted By: Pitbull63 Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/19/2011 11:12 PM

I would like to thank everybody for their input, kind words, respected opinions, and the additional photos of some fine looking daggers.

Rich
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Re: NSKK Dagger - 12/20/2011 05:47 AM
Originally Posted By: Mac 66
Serge, Another absolute beauty Transitional NSKK dagger you got there wink amongst another 2 beautys cool

Thanks Scott, John & Rich,
I picked up the Grafrath from a friend of mine who bought it in 1999 from Gailen David.
© Your new forums