UBB.threads
Posted By: Larry C Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 03:56 AM
Out of the SA crypt ,, and the highlight of my collection,,this maker is featured for the first time on the GDC. This is not a recent pick up, as this has come out of the advanced collection of the late Dr Julian Milestone. What was left of his collection that did not go to the Max auction in 1992-93 went to a husband and wife dealer team Marvin and Pearl Mattox and this early SA example into my hands in 1997. The craftmanship on this example makes it a Sweetheart from Steinbach Hallenberg. This dagger is untouched since it has been in my possession ,and this one I will respect! This example rates a 9 on the McSaar list. IMO it is a rarely seen maker and maybe should be a 10! (sorry Mike grin ) Schmalkalden which is deemed the “Other Solingen” made some great homegrown edged weapons that only “Mom and Pop shops” can procure! What makes this dagger maker special in craftmanship along with the other smaller firms ,,like a fine red wine ,,they were not massed produced and made in limited numbers. Makes my skin crawl ,that they were assigned an RZM number of M7/48,, but I never seen a late example of this maker, IMO,, I think they would rather close their doors than to sell their souls to the RZM. Here are a few photos of my Otto Simon.

Attached picture otos0a1.JPG
Attached picture otos1.JPG
Attached picture otos2.JPG
Attached picture otos3.JPG
Posted By: Larry C Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 03:58 AM
The grip has furniture type sharpness and in hand is almost a cherry like color.

Attached picture otos4.JPG
Attached picture otos4a.JPG
Attached picture otos8.JPG
Posted By: Larry C Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 03:59 AM
The Runes button is the rounded style and tang nut is perfect with no signs of stress.

Attached picture otos6.jpg
Attached picture otos7.JPG
Posted By: Larry C Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 04:00 AM
In a torch lit ceremony ,the Gruppe mark is “Fr” Franken and the motto has all of its darkening with traces of the original black burnishing. The blade has all its crossgrain and is hard to view since it has never been cleaned and Im afraid to do that with this early rare maker ,,in fear of removing the darkening completely.

Attached picture otos9.jpg
Attached picture otos9a.JPG
Attached picture otos10.JPG
Posted By: Larry C Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 04:02 AM
The 3 piece marching hanger is in great condition with early style “long nosed snap clip”. Matching in condition and color ,,the hanger compliments the dagger.

Attached picture otos11.JPG
Attached picture otos12.jpg
Attached picture otos13.JPG
Attached picture otos14.JPG
Posted By: Larry C Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 04:03 AM
Last photos,, before going back into the crypt.

Attached picture otos15.jpg
Attached picture otos15a.JPG
Attached picture otos16.JPG
Attached picture otos17.JPG
Posted By: SSman Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 05:07 AM
All I can say is "WOW" What a beauty!
Rod
Posted By: jeff Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 09:24 AM
now I know why you needed the "box"....
very nice ,rare maker for sure , beautiful condition, plus the 3 piece hanger.
can't do no better. great photos too !
jeff h.
Posted By: OverLord Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 07:28 PM
Happy Halloween all!
Posted By: seany Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 10:53 PM
Thanks for sharing that's a real beauty
Posted By: Erich Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 10:58 PM
A real SCREAMER Larry!
Posted By: Pitbull63 Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 11:20 PM
Hi Larry,
I read a lot of your posts and all I can say is you truly have a passion for these SA daggers. That is an extraordinary dagger by a maker seldom seen. From what I can see on your beautifully taken pictures it has a perfect fit everywhere, I'll give it a 10!!! I can't believe how that handle fits so well nestled between the crossguards, with no shrinkage side to side. So tell us, is this the only best kept secret or do you have more? Oh and by the way, nice box.

Thanks for sharing
Rich
Posted By: stingray Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 10/31/2011 11:51 PM
Larry,that is absolutely fantastic dagger and the box smile.

Thanks for showing.

Regards
Stingray
Posted By: lloyd Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 11/01/2011 06:41 AM
BEAUTIFUL!
Posted By: Larry C Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 11/01/2011 11:57 AM
Originally Posted By: Pitbull63
Hi Larry,
I read a lot of your posts and all I can say is you truly have a passion for these SA daggers. So tell us, is this the only best kept secret or do you have more?

Thanks for sharing
Rich

Thank you everyone for your kind replies, to answer Pitbulls question I would have to say I have a passion for the time period of when these early SAs made their debut. What is intriguing to me is the quality with heart and soul that went into making these works of art and the Struggle it was made for. Do I have more best kept secrets? No, not like this one since this was the 25yr old dusty bottle of scotch That I wasnt ready to pull off the back shelf, but did anyway. GDC member Jeff who pops up once in awhile made the box for me so the credit goes to him for that. I thank him for helping me. The Holidays are coming so I need to lay low on SA purchases but have an Eickhorn slated for a photo shoot soon. Thanks again and I thank History itself for being able to study it! Regards Larry
Hello Siegfried,

Super SA dagger and wonderful pictures shown (number 1 is very original)!

Is the dagger really stored in such a case?

Best greetings,

Herman
Posted By: 777 Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 11/01/2011 05:34 PM
Well, Larry, I can say I envy you this Thuringian babe.
Posted By: Larry C Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 11/02/2011 03:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Herman V. (aka Herr Mann)
Hello Siegfried,
Super SA dagger and wonderful pictures shown (number 1 is very original)!
Is the dagger really stored in such a case?
Best greetings,
Herman

Hi Hermann, The coffin box is only for temporary display under the right environmental conditions, but it is an eye catcher though. The Otto Simon is a Vault dagger and stays there. Here is a better photo of the coffin box in use with another dagger. regards Larry

Attached picture DSCN0031.JPG
Posted By: R.R Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 11/02/2011 04:22 PM
Hi Larry,

A very nice and rare dagger with a beatiful black etching.

Nice creative dagger coffin too, looks like a bizarre periode regalia item.
Posted By: Nakida Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 11/03/2011 03:59 PM
Super dagger in a smooth coffin wink

Sam,
Posted By: jeff Re: Otto Simon Early SA.. Happy Halloween!! - 11/04/2011 10:50 AM
nice to hear good comments on the coffin box AS well as the dagger. I thank you !
jeff h.
© Your new forums