Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Posted By: 3-finger Louie Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 04:59 AM
The Blade:

Posted By: Adam Kirchen Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 05:17 AM
Looks real to me, small double oval Eickhorn mark which you want to see on a Ground Rohm or unground for that matter.
Posted By: Earl (Rick) Schreiber Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 05:22 AM
To me it wouldnt matter if it was real, the condition isnt the greatest and there are lots of better shape ground Rohms out there. So unless its a steal i would wait for a better condition one.
Posted By: sdp Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 10:29 AM
Louie... I can't see me changing my mind on this one. I have to agree 100% with what Earl (Rick) says above.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 02:43 PM
I agree with Earl and SDP...unless that is a $200.00 dagger, I'd surely pass.

Mark
Posted By: Mike McAlvanah Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 02:59 PM
Dagger is good-condition sucks- please notice the very typical wood and staining of the handle-present on many,but NOT ALL, Eick Rohms.Mike
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 05:38 PM
The grip is (European) Beech, the same as used on laminated 98K rifle stocks. Finishing can be a bit of a problem - which is probably why it didn�t make it onto the list of approved materials for the RZM daggers. As for condition, it is what it is, which is an original that has seen some better days. FP
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 05:45 PM
The condition of the blade isn't wonderfull but the rest of the dagger is decent enough. If it can be obtained very resonably you might want to contact Vern and see if the blade would polish up. I don't see any harm since it was already ground anyway.
Roll EyesJim
Posted By: 3-finger Louie Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 08:14 PM
Well, I went ahead and obtained it. VERY Reasonably! (about $200 in trade junk). Oh, how I long for the days when I would have just walked by something like this and a Pristine one was $100 bill!
Posted By: sdp Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 08:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jim m:
The condition of the blade isn't wonderfull but the rest of the dagger is decent enough. If it can be obtained very resonably you might want to contact Vern and see if the blade would polish up. I don't see any harm since it was already ground anyway.
Roll EyesJim

jim... does Vern do polish work on blades?
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 08:49 PM
My understanding in past correspondence with Vern is he has the proper equipment to polish blades.
I'm also going to politely disagree with my pal Frogprinz here. Smile I think the grip is likely oak. If it's just very soiled a product called Cotton Clenser should clean it up in no time.
Jim
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/04/2006 11:29 PM
Vern is very patient and does great and gentle work on blades. I know he spent many hours on my first chained SS which was a true relic, but he managed to make the blade much more presentable. The scabbard was trash and unsalvageable.

Mark Cool
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/05/2006 04:36 AM
Jim, I was on a steady diet of eating splinters for a week. In contrition for doubting Skyline Drive when he said that he had an SA with a 1/4 sawn oak grip. Here are a couple of images I borrowed from that thread.

Louie, any chance of getting similar images for a comparison? So I�ll know if I have to break out those stainless steel caps again or not?? Wink Regards, FP

Attached picture Oak-!-copy.jpg
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/05/2006 04:38 AM
Second image.

Attached picture Oak-2.jpg
Posted By: Fitzer Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/06/2006 12:33 AM
Louie..l Love the grip though. Looks like a copper 'SA' insert as well. Even the ugly ones need a good home (at least that what my wife tells me... Big Grin)
Posted By: 3-finger Louie Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/07/2006 03:09 AM
Sure, OK, It arrived today and i will be able to take some pics in the morning and I will post them. I now have TWO Eick Ground Rohms and the resemblance between them is remarkable.

I will take some pics side by side and show you what I mean, I also tend to agree that the grips appear to be made of Oak. I think it is kind of cool because I have a lot of the equipment neccesary to operate on these and was thinking about taking the worst one and reworking it while leaving the other one untouched. So I guess the next photos I post will be the "Before"s! I will try to have them up later tonight or first thing in the AM.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/07/2006 12:47 PM
Louie, I kinda like that grip...it's a nice break from the others we see most of the time. I also think you got a great deal in hindsight on the dagger.

Congrats to you!

Mark Big Grin
Posted By: Craig Gottlieb Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/07/2006 05:09 PM
I agree with Mark - I think it's sort of cool.
Posted By: Paul Horton Re: SA Ground Rohm-any Opinions - 01/07/2006 11:16 PM
i agree,
this looks different than most we see here, as soon as i saw it, i thought
"i like this dagger!"

Attached picture drinking04.gif
© Your new forums