UBB.threads
Posted By: E Rader Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/26/2007 10:54 PM
This just arrived, the blade has 100% crossgrain, scabard has 99.99% orignal lacquor finish! Has a unusual deep red finish. Please share your thoughts.

Attached picture 100_2725.JPG
Posted By: E Rader Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/26/2007 10:55 PM

Attached picture 100_2726.JPG
Posted By: E Rader Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/26/2007 10:55 PM

Attached picture 100_2727.JPG
Posted By: E Rader Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/26/2007 10:56 PM
This is cool Cool

Attached picture 100_2728.JPG
Posted By: John W. Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/26/2007 11:16 PM
Beautiful!!.... Cool
Posted By: patrice Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/26/2007 11:21 PM
Where in the world do you find such rare beauties. Eek
Posted By: E Rader Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/26/2007 11:34 PM
Pat, If I told no one would believe me. To be truthful, it comes and goes in sperts. The key is to be willing to pay cash, Jump on it fast and NEVER wait around. Generaly you will loose out every time.
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/27/2007 01:52 AM
Nice dagger.Smile That one came from Wittmann. It is still on his website. http://www.wwiidaggers.com/25419.htm
Lots of his offerings are sold but not marked as such. He does a lousy job of keeping it current IMO. Always has.
Posted By: sdp Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/27/2007 08:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Skyline Drive:
Nice dagger.Smile That one came from Wittmann. It is still on his website. http://www.wwiidaggers.com/25419.htm
Lots of his offerings are sold but not marked as such. He does a lousy job of keeping it current IMO. Always has.

You can say that again. I check his site but never enquire about making a purchase anymore... he really should pull his socks up and also make it easier for people to pay.
Posted By: sdp Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/27/2007 09:01 AM
VonRader... well done to you. There's nothing better than receiving a new dagger, only to find that it's in even better condition than what you were hoping. On top of that, it's a very rare 10 on the McSaar. You gotta be happy with all of that. Smile Cool
Posted By: E Rader Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/27/2007 10:35 AM
I will agree that Tom needs to update his sight more often. Out of the 4 SA's I asked him about 3 were sold!

I rarely buy off of dealers due to the much higher prices. However the big boys do get the hard to find items more often. My only complaint about most big dealers is they seem to hype up thier good and over rate, thus when you get the item you are disipointed. This item is MUCH nicer than the photos on Toms sight, and MUCH better in hand. Only flaw is there is a rub on the bottom grip to the lower crossguard causing a slight imperfect gap fit. You can see in the photos.

The best grader: Tom Johnson he tents to be more conservitive IMO.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/27/2007 10:56 AM
Yes, I have encountered the same with Tom's site, items hanging around for a while after being sold.

What I do is check his site regularly for updates and jump on the items I want immediately. I have had occasion where I jumped too quickly and didn't like what I received, but it all worked out ok with Tom.

Tom and Deb are very accommodating on how you pay and on timing of payment and shipment.

My two cents worth...

BTW, IMHO Tom W tends to slightly overgrade his items and Tom J (and Paul Hogle) tend to undergrade.

John
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/27/2007 01:27 PM
Very nice. I have two of these-not quite as nice though-but very rare. See me at the MAX. I have over 100 SA's to offer. Some, like the Bismark, are very rare.
Posted By: Nakida Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/27/2007 02:45 PM
Beautiful dagger from a desirable maker, congrats!

Sam,
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/28/2007 07:15 AM
JMO, but I believe that Bismark ones are one of the rarest, if not the rarest maker marked SAs. In 50 plus years of collecting and doing motel buys, I have never found or had one.
Ron Weinand
Weinand Militaria
PS: I believe it beats the Bulldog.
Posted By: Landser Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/28/2007 09:27 AM
That is certainly a fine looker in great condition. The only consideration that one might have is that this dagger is a very choice SA.

I have never bought a dagger from Mr. Wittmann. I always thought that the grading of the daggers did not compare to what I was looking at by some considerable margin. I therefore assumed all the good stuff must be sold before it got listed.

Just out of interest I looked this one up on the site & have to say that on the strength of the images on Mr. Wittmann`s site I would not have considered it. It demonstrates very well that things are not always how they appear in photographs. This piece is actually far better than depicted. Obviously photography is not a priority & I shall perhaps be less critical in my obsevations in future.
Posted By: Hakan81 Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/28/2007 12:34 PM
That�s a real beauty Eek,
congrats to a great catch & great pictures !
Best from Hakan
Posted By: 777 Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/28/2007 10:22 PM
Supernice dagger, that I remember from TW site. And YES, my 2 cents: the updating of that site is a joke. Guys who know Mr.Wittmann personaly, please do say few words about it. How many of us are tired with hearing Deb saying "It's sold"?
Posted By: Oleg1 Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/29/2007 04:05 AM
is the scabbard painted? Is it supposed to be anodized?
Posted By: SAdagger Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/29/2007 10:27 AM
Thats in pristine condition. I also have one with about 95% or better lacquer on the scabbard.
Posted By: E Rader Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/29/2007 11:25 AM
The scabbard is anodized, there seems to be a heavier amount of lacquor used to protect the finish. This give it that almost painted look, it is a realy treat to see, the rose wine color look really sets off the dagger from!
Posted By: E Rader Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/30/2007 03:24 PM
quote:
Just out of interest I looked this one up on the site & have to say that on the strength of the images on Mr. Wittmann`s site I would not have considered it. It demonstrates very well that things are not always how they appear in photographs. This piece is actually far better than depicted.

It amazes me that the big dealers don't know how to take good quality photos! If you want to get top $ for any item you must be able to market it well! I am no pro but my goodness if I were in thier shoes it would be a no brainer to me. (take photos outside in natural light gets the best results) Also when I got the dagger the blade had a lot of dirty residue, all I did was wipe down the blade and clean the scabbard and it really made an improvement.
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/30/2007 03:29 PM
The minty scabbards on SA daggers are much rarer than the minty blades. When together they make for a very rare premium piece-no matter what maker.
Posted By: SAdagger Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/30/2007 03:45 PM
Here is a link to my C. Linder with 95% or better lacquer.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m61/anythingww2/C%20LINDER/
Posted By: E Rader Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/30/2007 03:56 PM
Nice dagger Bob, I really like wood grain on the grip.
Posted By: Grip Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/30/2007 05:01 PM
VonRader,
Yes that is a real beauty,Tom emailed me the pictures along with the Bulldog before he put them on his site as I was haggling over another piece from him,I left them for a while and went for the Bulldog,after he put them on the site,I was torn between them,but happy with the Bulldog,I am pleased to see the Bismarck found good home.Well done,can only be a good investment.
Ivan.
Posted By: pvon Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 09/30/2007 05:45 PM
A very nice dagger indeed!

PVON
Posted By: SAdagger Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 10/01/2007 01:25 AM
Thanks VR, didn't mean to jump into your thread. I must agree with how dealers take pics. I was looking over your dagger on his sight before you bought it but his pictures weren't that flattering. If your pictures were on his site that dagger would be hanging on my wall.

Thats an incredible dagger!
Posted By: DAMAST Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 10/01/2007 02:49 AM
You have to pay for the good stuff....And Tom is one of the good guys...
Posted By: axxman Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 10/01/2007 08:39 PM
How come I can't see photos?
Posted By: axxman Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 10/01/2007 08:46 PM
Is it like this one?
Posted By: the russian Re: Nice SA Dagger by Bismarck - 10/02/2007 01:43 AM
The posting of the web site is slow, but the merchandise is always first class and as described.
© Your new forums