UBB.threads
Posted By: reichstall nskk copper eagle - 04/26/2007 03:50 AM
well was playing with my toys when i found this nskk with an copper eagle and the cross guards are ate up pretty good no hint if they were ever plated copper or not the scabbard was repainted at some point strange thing is i don't rember buying this one . I know that sounds bad but i really don't. Any thoughts why the eagle would be copper. I thought marine sa but i just don't know as for pics i can't load any on here every time i try it just locks up . thanks jim.
Posted By: tsuba Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/26/2007 08:52 AM
Hi Jim

Don't know if this is relavent but I have a late war Franz Frenzel SA that has a copper eagle. One can only assume they were made and used on some daggers.

Regards

Ross
Posted By: A J Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/26/2007 09:12 AM
Look closely and you should see traces of plating in the crevices of the wings etc I have one on a late 33 SS they have also been discussed from time to time on GDC
Posted By: reichstall Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/26/2007 10:49 AM
just looked as close as i can and just dont see any plating the patina sure does look 60 plus years i guess its just an odd thing now i wish i could rember buying or getting it in a trade.The detail in the copper eagle is far greater than any other bird i have so these are really good .well all have a great day
Posted By: tsuba Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/26/2007 08:51 PM
There is some traces of plateing on my one. Very faint. Will photograph laiter.

Ross
Posted By: tsuba Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/26/2007 09:19 PM

Attached picture sa_1.JPG
Posted By: tsuba Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/26/2007 09:21 PM

Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: Dagger Screws Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/26/2007 09:36 PM
The copper eagles were quite common on later pieces. They were plated with nickel silver and over time the plating wears off leaving the copper base.
I think these are quite interesting and a nice alternative to nickel silver eagles.
Best wishes, Wendy & Ian

www.simplydaggers.co.uk
Posted By: Doug Kenwright Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/27/2007 07:27 PM
..and interestingly enough, found on the odd early SA dagger as well

www.kurskmilitaria.com

Attached picture Picture_006~2.jpg
Posted By: Doug Kenwright Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/27/2007 07:29 PM

Attached picture Picture_007~2.jpg
Posted By: Frederick J. Stephens Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/28/2007 01:14 AM
Gentlemen,

My comment, for what it is worth, is that in the manufacturing of grip emblems using aluminium based alloys, there was always a possibility of precipitation - i.e. that the aluminium alloy could degrade, or "bubble", and become powdery.

By plating the alloy with copper, this effectively sealed the alloy base, and allowed for the further plating of the nickel finish to be at lesser risk of flaking or lifting - as the copper plating effectively sealed or inhibited the reaction of the alloy when exposed to oxygen.

As a further example of this, a good many of the dress bayonet blades were "coppered" before they were nickel plated - thus ensuring a firm bond between the outer surface nickel, and the under surface of copper plate and base iron/steel.
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: nskk copper eagle - 04/28/2007 01:40 AM
Agreed Doug, the copper eagle is sometimes found on early daggers.
Interestingly to this day the copper flash is used over zinc to allow plating to "stick"
© Your new forums