UBB.threads
Posted By: KansasSwede Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/20/2022 05:47 PM
Hello all,

I am on the hunt for my first SS dagger and found a Gottlieb Hammesfahr for sale in my range.

Blade/scabbard all look good. It's advertised as an early but due to shiny scabbard and plated fittings it must be more of a mid.

My only questions of the seller are the "fat" SS runes and eagle. Also the inspection mark "III" is stamped horizontal vs vertical.

Hope I get the photo postings correct so that you can view. I am posting 5 photos and will try to upload an additional 3.

Many thanks, Greg

Attached picture SS5.jpg
Attached picture SS6.jpg
Attached picture SS7.jpg
Attached picture SS8.jpg
Attached picture SS1.jpg
Posted By: KansasSwede Re: Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/20/2022 05:49 PM
More photos

Attached picture SS2.jpg
Attached picture SS3.jpg
Attached picture SS4.jpg
Posted By: KansasSwede Re: Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/20/2022 11:32 PM
Should’ve mentioned any and all input is appreciated on this dagger.
Posted By: Vern Re: Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/21/2022 06:03 PM
A shot of the maker's mark would be nice wink
Posted By: KansasSwede Re: Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/21/2022 08:20 PM
Oops - here you go

Attached picture logo.jpg
Posted By: KansasSwede Re: Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/21/2022 09:22 PM
wider angle mark

Attached picture SS10 (1).jpg
Posted By: Vern Re: Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/22/2022 05:41 PM
Plated fittings on the scabbard means that the scabbard has been replaced. That maker's mark should have nickle silver fittings and an anodized or period repainted scabbard. If the cross guards are also plated, it's probably a parts dagger.
Posted By: KansasSwede Re: Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/22/2022 07:12 PM
Thanks Vern. Was wondering about that.
Posted By: Dave Re: Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/22/2022 07:47 PM
And, in your second post, the throat piece of the scabbard does not seem to seated correctly. The side with the carrying ring is sticking out slightly.

That is probably why the dagger is cheaper. A correct scabbard would be hard to find and finding one into which that dagger fit perfectly is very long odds. Better to buy one that is complete

Dave
Posted By: KansasSwede Re: Gottlieb Hammesfahr SS questions - 02/22/2022 08:22 PM
Many thanks for your input. I passed on this one. Will wait and save for an early one that is 100%.
© Your new forums