UBB.threads
Posted By: Jtrew1984 Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/23/2015 09:47 PM
Newbie here. I picked this up from a collector I have a few previous dealings with. He didn't guarantee anything but I've had good stuff from him in the past. Is it any good? Thanks.

http://i.imgur.com/GkJHmSz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fgBSBtU.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/e6UQ8wr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0C9e75V.jpg
Posted By: JR Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/23/2015 09:58 PM
From the limited photos, it appears post war all the way, including the knot.
Posted By: Krikke Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/24/2015 01:18 PM
I don't like it. Look at the lack of detailles runes on the grip.
Are there any markings on the lower croussguard and the top of the scabbard?
Should be 2 Kulturzeichens on it. (the same as on the back of the link of the chained SS dagger)
Posted By: ORPO Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/24/2015 01:49 PM
The others are correct. Not a good Degen.
Posted By: Dave Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/24/2015 02:02 PM
jtrew,

Welcome to GDC. Sorry your first posting turns out to be questionable. I would go back to the collector and ask for your money back. If he won't take it back, tell him you are considering mentioning his name here.

A second point: Please figure out how to post images directly instead of via links. That way there is a permanent record.

JR, ORPO, Krikke:

You might provide a bit more info on why this is a fake. Help him get his $$ back.

Dave
Admin
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/24/2015 03:19 PM
Do not hesitate to post your potential purchase here before committing.
Lots of great guys here who know their stuff.
Posted By: Krikke Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/24/2015 04:06 PM
Well, as I am totally not an expert regarding SS degens, I allready pointed out my gut feeling on the runesbutton.
I didn't managed yet to post pictures here because all my pictures are to big. Seems that man can post only a very small size
of pictures on this forum which is IMO a negative point.
I also repeat here that there is probably an absence of Kulturzeichens on the lower crossguard and the top of the scabbard.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/25/2015 02:03 AM
I'm sorry to say, after viewing the first photo only. both the sword and the portepee are postwar. Of this, I am absolutely positive.
Posted By: Dave Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/25/2015 02:25 AM
Grumpy,

Tell me why, please
Posted By: Grumpy Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/25/2015 02:39 AM
The SS runes insignia on the portepee is obviously very poorly done and does not come close to those on original portepees, which are crisp and clean. There are some recent repro's of this type of portepee, which come close and are better than most. But, the stem material is wrong and the runes and circle around them are too "fat," as compared to originals. Some of the runes on them are "sketchy," with areas of black thread missing. As to the degen, the "teardrop" ending on the handguard is flat, a sure sign of a reproduction. Originals are like a real teardrop, with a globular configuration. Although it is impossible to say, based only on the photo, the grip appears to be of plastic, not wood. In any case, the bad "teardrop" is cause to go no further on this one.
Posted By: ORPO Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 07/28/2015 02:24 PM
Grumpy is quite right when he points out the problems with the Portepee.

The bright sword fittings are problematic as the drag on the scabbard shows. The drag is pressed on and the scallops are crudely done. The drag casting is pitted and the brushed finish is not correct. The grips appear to be plastic or at least coated with something instead of being the correct style of black wood.

I hope this is helpful to you jtrew.
Posted By: nurseswim Re: Need expert opinion on this SS degen - 08/03/2015 08:13 PM
Not good, look at dealers sites for comps and pictures as references. Look into forums as well. When you look at authentic sword, differences will be more obvious
Be sure to post your pieces for review on the forums discussions before purchase. Members are very knowledgable and forthright
Hope this helps
© Your new forums