UBB.threads
Posted By: Ryan B M36 Unmarked SS Chained - 06/17/2013 06:34 AM
Hey guys, this is my Chained SS dagger. I purchased this dagger in April for 400$. The only problem is that one of the links are missing. I just had a quick question, is this a type i or type ii chain? Also i'm looking for a good/great condition heer dagger portepee to add, so if anyone has an extra please msg me.
Thanks
Ryan

Attached picture php4LKw0sPM.jpg
Attached picture php6v6NSPPM.jpg
Attached picture php9tkr5pPM.jpg
Attached picture phprB2GksPM.jpg
Attached picture phpx1w1VrPM.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: M36 Unmarked SS Chained - 06/17/2013 04:25 PM
Ryan B, first let me welcome you to the forum.
What I can see from the pics (these are sharp but small and therefore lacking some details - can you please show pics of the middle scabbard fiiting and a pic of one of the death head segments?) it looks to me like a nice, early (all nickle silver) socalled Mod.II chain (from TTW).
These early (if it really is an early one) nickle silver chain links were delicate and tended to open their welding seams and to bend. So most propably this link was easily lost during wear.
Nevertheless the dagger is in overall very nice condition and the 400$ for sure pure luck.
As the wearing of portepees were only allowed to Waffen SS members late in the war, I personally would tend to let such an early dagger, worn by an Allgemeine SS member in early 30ies times, without portepee. Naturally the wearer could have changed to Waffen-SS and could have worn this dagger later in the war too but the character of these early chained daggers would be (for me) without portepee.
I more would tend to look for one of the rare hangers.
Just my thoughts.
Regards,

Attached picture hanger.JPG
Posted By: Ryan B Re: M36 Unmarked SS Chained - 06/17/2013 06:18 PM
Thank you for your response wotan, as i am on vacation right now i can't get you a close up of the chain but i do have a picture of the middle scabbard fitting. Also with the rare hangers, how much would one of those tend to cost? Hanger wise i was looking at the black belt look.
Thanks
Ryan

Attached picture phpsut8VTAM.jpg
Attached picture phpfHmJzyAM.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: M36 Unmarked SS Chained - 06/18/2013 09:24 AM
What I see still let me think it is an early all nickle silver fittings dagger. Try a magnet at the chain and the tip of the scabbard fitting.
A black belt loop for sure is a good, cheap alternative for a proper hanger. Most of these teardrop hangers are marked around 38 so they would have been attached later on such an early M36. These teardrop hangers may go around 750-1500 USD if you find one.
But they for sure do look good on such a nice dagger wink.
Regards,
Posted By: byf41@aol.com Re: M36 Unmarked SS Chained - 06/21/2013 01:53 AM
Looks like a nice one Ryan . Im sure you know you stole it . Congratulations friend .
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: M36 Unmarked SS Chained - 06/22/2013 10:47 AM
Great score!
Posted By: 777 Re: M36 Unmarked SS Chained - 06/22/2013 08:15 PM
Painted scabbard shell says it's more likely the early nickel silver version. The other way to check if the 2nd type is nickel silver or plated steel just looking at the pictures is to see the SS proof stamp (which unfortunately is not pictured here). The one used on nickel silver chains is different than one used on 2nd model steel chains (BTW. the 1st model has totally different proofmark as well). Anyway, it was a SUPER bargain, you're lucky guy.
Posted By: Ryan B Re: M36 Unmarked SS Chained - 07/24/2013 07:55 AM
Hey Guys, I finally got the SS dagger taken down to her bare bones. I need some help though, do any of you know what producer might come off the tang number 25? According to a friend of mine the closest one known was a 24 and this was an unknown producer.
Thanks
Ryan

Attached picture phpBzdhz5PM.jpg
Posted By: Ryan B Re: M36 Unmarked SS Chained - 07/24/2013 07:57 AM
Also here is the SS proof mark guys.
Ryan

Attached picture phpF6omDoPM.jpg
© Your new forums