UBB.threads
Posted By: Lost Dutchman Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/01/2013 09:31 PM
Hey gang!

I picked this guy up today and I had a question about it. What is up with the bumps in the motto? The handle has the Boker style runes and it is a ground Rohm.... thoughts?

Posted By: zoza Re: Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/01/2013 09:42 PM
The 230 827 SS number goes to a SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Erwin Domhardt born 30.08.1890

NSDPAP number 4 680 183

Contact Ross K. and see if he can find something more on this guy (maybe pitures of him)

www.ssdaggers.com

A nice and rare catch my friend !!!

Keep us informed please.

Congrats to your new addition
Posted By: Lost Dutchman Re: Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/01/2013 09:58 PM
Originally Posted By: zoza
The 230 827 SS number goes to a SS-Hauptsturmfuhrer Erwin Domhardt born 30.08.1890

NSDPAP number 4 680 183

Contact Ross K. and see if he can find something more on this guy (maybe pitures of him)

www.ssdaggers.com

A nice and rare catch my friend !!!

Keep us informed please.

Congrats to your new addition

I have already contacted him. He was very helpful with the last numbered SS dagger I had.
Posted By: Nietzsche Re: Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/01/2013 10:17 PM
Nice dagger. The bumps are from the etching process and common on Boker daggers. I have been told it had to do with the hardness of the steel but not sure if that is 100% accurate.

Jim
Posted By: kreta1961 Re: Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/01/2013 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Nietzsche
Nice dagger. The bumps are from the etching process and common on Boker daggers.
Jim

You're right.
Posted By: Gottlieb Re: Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/02/2013 07:01 AM
Nice piece - textbook Boker. Does it come with the scabbard ?

Congrats on this find ....
Posted By: Lost Dutchman Re: Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/02/2013 03:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Gottlieb
Nice piece - textbook Boker. Does it come with the scabbard ?

It did come with the scabbard but someone has stripped it. I'm currently looking for a proper replacement.
Posted By: Lost Dutchman Re: Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/02/2013 03:55 PM
I had another question. Since the Rohm inscription appears to have been removed pretty harshly... does this effect the value of the dagger? Of course I think it was period done... but great care was NOT taken to remove the inscription cleanly... what does this do to the value?
Posted By: trussa Re: Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/02/2013 04:07 PM
place pictures of the scrabed!

best trussa
Posted By: Grumpy Re: Ground Rohm Boker Question - 03/02/2013 06:11 PM
A "full Rohm" with complete inscription is very pricey. One with a partial inscription is less so, but still brings more than a non-Rohm and a fully ground one, all things being equal. All manner of ways were used to remove the inscription, some rather crude, so, for most collectors I would say a fully ground Rohm is just that, regardless of how indelicately the grinding was done. The trademark here was used by Boker only on Rohm daggers, so that would add to the appeal, verifying it originally had the inscription. This blade appears to have been seriously buffed. Originally, Boker used very dark backgrounds in its etches, apparently to conceal the "bumps" noted.
© Your new forums