UBB.threads
Posted By: Remco SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr - 11/19/2012 10:06 PM
Hi all,

This SS dagger is offered to me. What are your opinions about this dagger?

Thanks!!

-Remco
Posted By: [email protected] Re: SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr - 11/19/2012 11:05 PM
Hi blade has a lot of moisture damage scabbard appears to be an old re paint as opposed to anondized but I can't really tell from pics, fittings, crossguard fit and all else looks good...Nice looking dagger even with blade issues cheers, Ryan
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr - 11/19/2012 11:36 PM
Some scabbards were painted during the Third Reich period, due to the poor durability of the bluing originally applied. This could be one of those, but, it's hard to tell from the photo.The grip looks like it might have been refinished and possibly partially restored, but, again, seeing photos only makes it difficult to draw a conclusion. A lot of wear around the trademark, possibly a ground "Rohm?" Everything does look like it started in the period, though. Not a bad looking dagger at all.
Posted By: Dave Re: SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr - 11/20/2012 12:27 AM
Look again.

The blade is the wrong shape and way too short!!

Don't buy it
Posted By: [email protected] Re: SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr - 11/20/2012 04:01 AM
Hi Dave you are right looks like a re tipped blade...pays to look. I never got past the damage and the trademark
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr - 11/20/2012 05:08 AM
Remco, if you don't already know, obtain the length of the blade, measured down the center from crossguard to tip.
Posted By: Dave Re: SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr - 11/20/2012 03:37 PM
Should be 220 mm
Posted By: Remco Re: SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr - 11/20/2012 10:17 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies! I've asked the seller what the lenght of the blade is.
I'll keep you updated when I receive a reply from the seller.

-Remco
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS dagger by Gottlieb Hammesfahr - 11/20/2012 10:55 PM
Good idea. If it's too short, it means it was retipped, making it less valuable and less desirable as a collectible, at least to some. Very slight variations in length are acceptable, but, as Dave notes, 220 mm is more or less the standard length. It is also possible the edges were ground towards the tip to remove corrosion, even if the lenghth is correct. It is possible, too, the blade left the factory as is, but that would be extremely unusual. It could be it is a "ground Rohm" and the grinder got carried away while he was removing the inscription. It will interesting to hear what the blade measurement is.
© Your new forums