UBB.threads
Posted By: gardner27713 information on SS presentation dagger - 11/03/2012 08:32 AM
im new to this site i am just trying to find out information on the value of this dagger. i have also placed a post on the new comers site to gain information. I've inheritated a SS himmler presentation dagger that has been authenticated by local dealers. Ive spoken to these dealers and they are all interested in this item with thier increasing offers to purchase this. i am not looking to wholesale this but to retail it, any information of the value and rarity of this dagger would be great. if you need larger pictures send me a message or an email. thank you

Attached picture ss dagger 10.jpg
Attached picture ss dagger 50.jpg
Attached picture ss dagger 20.jpg
Attached picture ss dagger 30.jpg
Attached picture ss dagger 40.jpg
You've got a 100% textbook SS Himmler presentation dagger. I sold a Himmler this year for $25,000. I'd say it's worth $15,000 to $17,500.
Posted By: JR Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/03/2012 09:29 PM
Start at 1,000,000.00..........................................
you can always go down..................:))))))))))))))))))))
Posted By: Mikee Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/03/2012 09:48 PM
I'd say if one like it sold for $25,000. It should be worth that or more. Not $10,000.00 less, that sounds more like somebody else's profit margin. If it were mine and wanted to sell,I would cut out the middle man and maximize my profit, not somebody else's. IMO
Posted By: Dave Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/03/2012 10:45 PM
We have not seen the scabbard yet.

And to mention the obvious, the achievable retail price depends on who is selling the item.
Posted By: A J Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/04/2012 09:46 AM
How come this thread trolling to sell **********************
Posted By: gardner27713 Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/04/2012 01:35 PM
I am as you put it "trolling" to sell my dagger. But maybe you should get your facts straight before you insert your foot in your mouth again. I want to start by saying before Thursday morning i have never seen or held a german dagger in my hand before. This is the only German war piece I have ever had or probably will have. I have absolutely no use for this item and also had no idea of its worth. So i decided to call a dealer to find its worth. I was offered $3000 which i thought was great. So i told him i would think about it and i thought to myself i wonder if thats fair so i called another dealer and was offered $6000. Thats a huge increase in less than an hour and they have only seen the pics. So then i decided to find another dealer the next day to find out if its real and what it is worth. I even told him im not looking to sell i just want a value i didnt mention the other offers or anything i just wanted a value. When he looked at the knife he immediatly wanted the to buy it for $1200. So as you can see not being a part of german collectables, and the huge price difference and not knowing whos telling the truth i have had to search out a forum to find out some imformation. I just wanted a straight answer and what someone is willing to pay for this or what someone has paid for this in the past. The story on the dagger gos as follows A friend of mine inherited the blongings of his aunt. He found this dagger up in the closet of her bedroom where it had been for over 50 years and her husband served in the war. He showed it to me, we both thought it was cool thats all we knew. He asked me whats it worth i told him a couple of hundred bucks probably. As an avid hunter with many knives and alot of guns he asked me if i wanted it. I told him i didnt know what its worth but i liked the looks of it. So i told him to be fair to list it on ebay and if i wanted it i would bid on it and everyone would be happy and it would be a fair price i pay him. So he lists it and within an hour it was up to $800 and 3 people wrote him and asked him to end the auction early with a buy it now price for them. He called me and asked me what to do. I told him to let the auction run and if i wanted to buy it i would bid on it on the last day. Now we were already up to $800 and i was thinking to myself thats alot of money for just another knife to throw in the safe. So anyhow Ebay shut down his auction. He called me back and asked me what to do. Keep in mind we had not a clue as to what this knife was. He said he would contact one of the gentlemen who wanted him to end the auction early and see what he was willing to pay. The guy offered him $1250 and told him the knife was worth about $1500-$1700 but thats all he was willing to pay.He called me up the next day and said i have an offer of $1250 and its worth about $1500 and he would rather not ship it off and deal with this guy and would i be willing to give him $1200 cash to end this and he could get back home. So i thought about it and figured what the hell he needed the money now, and i told him well its worth at least $1250 but im going to try and get more. His reply was whatever good luck its yours now. I replied whatch this thing be a fake worth $20. We laughed and he said your not getting your money back it yours now good luck with it. So i took a risk and thank god its worth something. So sorry for trolling your web site i did not mean to offend anyone here i am just looking for a fair price and for this knife to end up in the right hands as it seems to be more than just your average every day dagger
Posted By: Jim W Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/04/2012 02:33 PM
Garner. If any of the moderators here thought you were trolling, we would have pulled you post. I think we are too busy appreciating your dagger.

As several people have commented, the highest prices depend on who is selling it. For example. Craig has a top reputation and can draw top dollars on his auctions. On the other hand, you put it on ebay, a nobody, an people want to pay you 10% of the value.

So you are left with the choice of trying to sell it yourself, and good luck trying to sell a $10-$15,000 dagger without a reputation. Or you can give it to either an auction house or a known dealer. Either of which will charge you about 20%. But, 80% of 15,000 is a lot better than 100% of $6,000.

And that is really the answer to your legitimate inquiry. You wanted to know what it is worth and how to market it.

I think you have your answer.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/04/2012 03:21 PM
Jim is correct here.

Reputation is what sells top end items at top end prices.

Would you buy a Rolex watch from a guy on the street at full retail or would you buy it from a top end dealer?

That is the situation you are in.

John
Posted By: Dave Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/04/2012 03:47 PM
Jim and John are correct. I saw it when it first went up and concluded the same.

I'd suggest consigning it to a top dealer. You should NOT pay more than 20% of the final sale price.

Dave
Posted By: trussa Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/04/2012 05:51 PM
is marked the crossguard?
trussa
Posted By: Grumpy Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/04/2012 05:56 PM
It is a highly desirable dagger to collectors and appears to be in very nice condition, which helps the value. A dealer would likely list it at least around the $20,000 area. That doesn't necessarily mean it would sell for that, but it should be close. If you can't get a reasonable offer, or don't opt to place it on consignment, hold on to it awhile and put it in a safety deposit box or safe. It could appreciate over time and it's unlikely it will depreciate. Whatever you sell it for and whenever you sell it, it will be pure profit. It's quite a "find" and don't let anyone buy it for a ridiculously low sum.
Posted By: byf41@aol.com Re: information on SS presentation dagger - 11/11/2012 03:26 AM
A solid 18K IMO .
© Your new forums