UBB.threads
Posted By: KW355 How to remove rust from an anodized SS scabbard ? - 08/28/2010 01:32 PM
As per the title , what is the best way to remove rust from an anodized SS scabbard without damaging the finish?. All of the laquer has gone already.
Sometimes removing all the rust will make it look worse. I'd recommend some treatments with the museum curators wax. It will remove some of the surface rust, and help prevent new rusting.
The old Bernie fondle works for me to help make the scabbards look there best. Just what is the Bernie fondle? Well it is named after it's inventor our very own Bernie Brule. It entails taking your scabbard and an old sock and slowly polishing the scabbard while you watch your favorite T.V. Show. Believe me it does a lot to improve the appearance of them. Albeit it does take sometime but a little a day does wonders. Then a little Renwax or something to help protect it and you'll be good to go.
I guess the Bernie Fondle will be my legacy. grin grin
grin
Originally Posted By: vintagetimenow
Sometimes removing all the rust will make it look worse...............

An excellent observation, because as it relates to steel sometimes underneath the rust there is pitting - and even very deep still active pitting taking place. A fact which was not unknown to gunmakers centuries ago. Which led to the development of Br�nierung ie: �browning� (like that seen on SA scabbards), and as technology and the process evolved �bluing� which is the finish used on the SS scabbards.

With my main point being that what might have some benefit with surface rust that is just starting. Is not going to work with rust that has progressed to the stage where rust nodules have formed. FP
© Your new forums