Posted By: kerkebos Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/19/2010 05:51 PM
it's marked emil voos

Description: 003
Attached picture SS_degen_3.jpg
Posted By: kerkebos Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/19/2010 05:58 PM

Description: 004
Attached picture SS_degen_33.jpg
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/19/2010 08:06 PM
What's stamped on the blade below the guard?
Jim
Posted By: Grumpy Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/19/2010 08:38 PM
Based on the photos, the "basics" look okay, but closeups of the maker mark, the grip (runes button side) and the scabbard fittings would help make a better determination. Also, if you can unscrew the pommel cap without damaging anything, knowing what's underneath would help.
Posted By: Doug Kenwright Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/19/2010 08:45 PM
Are there screws holding on that lower fitting?
Posted By: Robert H. Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/20/2010 01:53 AM
close ups will help, grip and emblem etc.
Is there a tag in the knot? how it look under the pommel screw?

somehow I am afraid but lets wait ...
Posted By: J. Harvey Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/20/2010 05:07 AM
From the photos it looks like the blade was made by Emil Voos. He made Police degens but maybe not SS Officers. I'd ask for a really good closeup of the grip and rune button.
Posted By: wolfslair Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/21/2010 09:33 AM
That's a repro SS portapee on the sword and the makers mark should be on the back of the blade and not on the same side as the SS runes on the handle.
Hope that helps.
Wolfslair
Posted By: kerkebos Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/21/2010 01:50 PM
thanks's everybody
i will take a good look at it
Posted By: RFI Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/21/2010 04:25 PM
As pointed out the portapee is trash. From a distance the rest looks OK but I doubt it is, we do need better pics to be safe. From these pics I would not buy it.
Best Wishes,
Bob
Posted By: Grumpy Re: ss sword is this good? - 04/21/2010 04:57 PM
There is a Voos SS sword depicted in Angolia's sword book, however it has the later "Dachau" fittings. It's stretch, but Voos may have bought parts to construct SS swords. Again, we are in that shady area where we may have a sword not made by Krebs, Muller or "no maker." SS officer swords were not generally private purchase items and were awarded. It's pure speculation, but I think it may be that police swords may have been converted to SS ones during the period by officers who had been awarded the SS sword. The reason being that the coverted ones could be worn while the presentation sword could be preserved and kept in a safe place to avoid damage. It is also easy to convert a police sword into an SS example postwar and many were, I'm sure. The "non-standard" SS officer swords are a "hard sell" and I would never invest heavily in one. I'm not sure about the portepee. My first impression was that it is questionable. The circle around the runes looks too thick. I would like to see closeups of the ball and stem to get a better idea. The strap and large ball look pretty good and appear to show some age. The ball also looks "tight," as compared to most repro's.
© Your new forums