UBB.threads
Posted By: Jim W Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 06:34 PM
Hi everyone.

One of our European brothers sent me some photos of a dagger. It is my understanding that General Erich Von Dem Back(Beck) gave these etched daggers to his military friend as a gift.

One of the photos has a paper behind the dagger, I understand this is just a print out of a short biography on the General.

Questions. Has anyone ever heard of these daggers.

Opinions on the daggers please,

And, if anyone has a strong opinion on price, please share it.

As usual with my posts, please do not pull any punches. Speak your minds.

Thank you

Description: Photo 1
Attached picture SSPost1.jpg
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 06:35 PM
Photo 2 with inscription and signature.

Description: Number 2
Attached picture von_dem_bach_post2.jpg
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 06:37 PM
Third Photo. According to my friend, he purchased this from the spouse of a friend of the Generals.

Description: number 3
Attached picture von_dem_bach_post3.jpg
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 06:38 PM
Final photo. If anyone wants more photos, I can get them.

Thank you

Jim

Description: number 4
Attached picture von_dem_bachpost4.jpg
Posted By: Dieter777 Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 07:07 PM
Blade seems narrow, or is it the angle of the camara?
Posted By: Skyline Drive Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 07:38 PM
Is there a maker mark? I see something but I can't tell what it is.
Posted By: Brave Wolf Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 07:44 PM
It looks like a Herder with crossed keys to me Eek

Ulf.
Posted By: Seiler Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 07:57 PM
Can,t say anything about authenticity,but this
one or another has been seen in UK along with a similar "Prutzmann dedication over past six months or so.Will see if I can hunt down the source. Confused
Seiler (Yank in UK)
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 08:48 PM
I will go ahead and send for better photos.

Jim
Posted By: Brave Wolf Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/26/2007 10:22 PM
Check out this link
http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/728099473/m/4040089694

I'm sure that looks like the F.Herder AS makermark.That would be one rare dagger if it's real.

Ulf.
Posted By: John Pepera Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/27/2007 02:36 AM
Mine is by Hamesfahr and For Sure, they are original!
However, I'm not ruling out the possibility of the possibiity of the inscription being reproduced.

John

Attached picture Bach2.jpg
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/27/2007 06:47 AM
von dem Bach Zelewski dedecation daggers are period and original. In Johnson Reference vol. 2, I believe, Johnson shows period translation report of a "lost" SS dagger around the Chancellery. What is interesting is it says that there is a dedecation on the blade from von dem Bach.
-wagner-
Posted By: Dieter777 Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/27/2007 03:40 PM
Is placement of the dedication,on or above the center ridge or spine of the blade critical?
Posted By: eughen Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/28/2007 10:45 AM
here the pics of the maker, it is F herder and this mine dagger is absolutely original, come out from the family!!

Description: ss dagger von dem bach
Attached picture DSCN9415.JPG
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 06/28/2007 02:05 PM
Thank you for all the responses. So, as I understand it, the Herder TM on the dagger is the correct TM for Herder SS?

Eughen is taking more photos and we will post them.

Jim
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 05:53 PM
Hello everyone. I hope all had a good weekend. I have additional photos which are much clearer. I will post them now.

John, I thank you so much for your posting the photo of yours. It takes effort and it is much appreciated. The same with Wagner and the rest of you who have been kind to help.

To be clear, I have no dog in this fight. I am curiouse though. So I am posting first photos of the inscription and signature. They look identical to me but my eye is maybe not so goo.

Also, the question of why two different makers. I note John's appears to be a ground Rohm. So, did the General have the inscription added to the officers daggers? Or, does someone know?

In any case. Please, if there are any flags or problems as well as possitive feedback, please speak freely.

And Thank you.

Jim

Description: Etch
Attached picture New1.JPG
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 05:54 PM
Sentement

Description: Sentiment
Attached picture New6.JPG
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 05:55 PM
Grip

Description: Grip
Attached picture New3.JPG
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 05:56 PM
Here is an exploded view

Description: tang
Attached picture New2.JPG
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 05:57 PM
fitting

Attached picture New4.JPG
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 05:57 PM
Other fittings

Attached picture New5.JPG
Posted By: nats Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 06:08 PM
hi Jim W, usually that 1936 tang mark is only seen on repros,nats
Posted By: seany Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 06:20 PM
i agree with nats. the 1936 is a dead giveaway for a repro
Posted By: tobau Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 06:31 PM
Hello Jim,
for me is your dagger not good.I mean the grip and grip inlets are a complete fake.Nats is right with the 1936 marking.
Then i have heard that this maker mark in this position is questionable,but i am not sure.
Now iam a little confuse : eughen's blade and yours are perfect ! It's the same blade .Was eughen the owner or i am totaly wrong here !?
Best.
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 06:44 PM
Atwood: Here's perhaps a clearer shot of the 1936 mark on the tang of an Atwood repro SS dagger.
Jim

Attached picture 2007_0622atwood0007.JPG
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/02/2007 08:48 PM
I am not aware of a "date" stamp on any original SS blade tang. Those that I have seen have been deemed repro's. But you never know...
But for this dagger there are so many things wrong with it that I have only to say - Run don't Walk!. Razz
-wagner-
Posted By: Jim W Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/03/2007 01:51 AM
I thank you all for your candor. The point of this discussion was to determine if this dagger was original and what the market was. To my satisfaction, that was done very nicely and with little confusion.

Deutscher. I will clarify that I stated from the begining this was not my dagger, but rather from one of the European members. I was posting this at the request of Eughen. Then Eughen posted a photo himself, which identified this as his dagger. Then he sent me more photos at my request because I wanted to know about this dagger. I hope that clarifies the time line and ownership.

Again, thank you for a very professional discussion.

Jim
Posted By: Grumpy Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/03/2007 06:40 PM
Interesting thread. From what I read, the blades with this inscription tend to be Hammesfahr or F. Herder. The Herders depicted here are the first I have seen that appear to have honest age and wear and are not "mint." I have also noticed some other Hammesfahr daggers have a motto etch that is identical to the F. Herder etch. It would seem Hammesfahr perhaps contracted some of its blade manufacturing and/or blade etching to Herder. Anyone else notice this?
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Help with presentation SS Dagger - 07/03/2007 07:11 PM
The one that I pictured above with the 1936 marked tang is an artificial damascus with the Klittermann & Moog logo. Now how's that for weird??

Attached picture 2007_0703kmdamascus0015_edited.JPG
© Your new forums