UBB.threads
Posted By: JME SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 02:00 AM
SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate
Just got this new plate and like to get some opinion on it. Has anybody seen this kind of plate before? What is it and what was it for? Any kind of information you may have would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help. JME

Attached picture Plate_039a.jpg
Posted By: JME Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 02:00 AM
a

Attached picture Plate_040a.jpg
Posted By: JME Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 02:00 AM
b

Attached picture Plate_041a.jpg
Posted By: JME Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 02:01 AM
c

Attached picture Plate_042a.jpg
Posted By: JME Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 02:02 AM
d

Attached picture Plate_043a.jpg
Posted By: JME Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 02:02 AM
e

Attached picture Plate_044a.jpg
Posted By: militarymania Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 02:15 AM
my opinion that it is a post-war application/ painting on a wartime piece of plating...it is very well done,but i have never seen anything like this so my first response,,not likely..
Posted By: JME Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 02:51 AM
I was told that this was Hospital Art done by Patients that were in the Hospital recovering. Maybe I was told wrong. Let�s see is somebody else has any additional opinion and or information. JME
Posted By: John Pepera Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 04:06 AM
militarymania is exactly correct that the plate is "a post-war application/painting on a wartime piece of plating"

These and many like others were contracted to be painted in England by a bloke by the name of Chris Farlow back in about 1970-1975. They are beautiful and the painting was vibrant and outstanding and of many different themes. Originally thousands flooded the U.S. market and today are happily imbedded in collections. He did all of the military and political organizations, combat scenes (Panzer, Luft, Navy, SS etc) and notables in vibrant colors and in outstanding detail.

As I say, thousands were produced and sold to the collecting community but they are seldom seen today and when they are, most collectors have problems accepting them as bad.

Perhaps some of our English friends will pipe in and reveal more about Chris Farlow and his friends and perhaps have some photos.

Regards,

John
Posted By: phil-brown Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 05:35 AM
also agree RAD plate spruced up.if it didnt have the RAD on the bottom,it would fool many,this is a giveaway however. chris was in islington and camden yrs ago along with several other dealers,all now long gone. not heard of chris for yrs, was a rockstar in his day.
Posted By: WWII Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/26/2010 07:33 AM
Hi J�rgen,

Yes, sad but true, these are postwar items as our friends stated above. The gamut runs from small 10" diameter soup bowls to large serving platters, almost all done on original
TR period porcelain.

The painting is first rate and the subject matter was well chosen and researched, another reason they were gobbled-up by the collecting community.

If not mis-represented and purchased at reasonable prices, these examples can make for exceptional decorators that would compliment the best of collections. Years ago I saw the Schlachtschiff Bismarck painted on a large serving platter, it was quite a beauty to say the least! Wink

Hope you didn't get bitten too badly?

Best!

W~
Posted By: JME Re: SS Motorsturm N�rnberg Plate - 04/28/2010 02:08 AM
Thank you all for your feedback! Well I feel like the older I get the less I know about this stuff. This was the first one I have every seen. Hospital Art what a joke. I thought for a sick guy he sure can paint very well. Thank you all for the education! Much appreciated! JME
© Your new forums