UBB.threads
Posted By: Colorado Table Top Flag with SS Markings - 08/15/2007 01:08 AM
I bought this many, many moons ago in Germany, but thought I would bring out of storage and photo one time. I bought it from a German picker for not too much. When I got it, the base had newspaper stuck to the bottom of it. When I got home, I carefully pulled it off and saw the markings you see.

Now, it could be completely spurious, but no attempt was made to sell it to me with SS markings as they were covered when I bought it.

The flag itself is completely period, the eagle atop has a broken wing that has been repaired. It has small halyard ropes that you can barely see in the large photo. The back side of the flag has a "1939" date stamped on it, in the same font as on the base.

What are your thoughts?

Attached picture Table_Top_Flag_001.jpg
Posted By: Colorado Re: Table Top Flag with SS Markings - 08/15/2007 01:08 AM
You can see the halyard ropes here (string) tacked down into the pole.

Attached picture Table_Top_Flag_002.jpg
Posted By: Colorado Re: Table Top Flag with SS Markings - 08/15/2007 01:09 AM
1939 in similar, but larger font as the on the back of the flag. Initials look like "MH" and the SS stamp.'

You can see the glue that held the newspaper in place.

Attached picture Table_Top_Flag_003.jpg
Posted By: Colorado Re: Table Top Flag with SS Markings - 08/15/2007 01:12 AM
Close-up SS stamp. Can anyone make it out?

Attached picture Table_Top_Flag_004.jpg
Posted By: Kwakernaak Re: Table Top Flag with SS Markings - 08/15/2007 07:30 AM
I think its a nice item. And I have no reason tho think why the base is not periode. I do wonder why the base is stamped. It seems such an insignificant item to have stamped??

Thanks for showing
Posted By: Doug Kenwright Re: Table Top Flag with SS Markings - 08/15/2007 03:58 PM
That's supposed to be either a document or a field post stamp..should not be on there in any event..if the item was real, added to increase value, but more than likely the whole rig is post war, though the pennent itself is probably real..
© Your new forums