UBB.threads
Posted By: kyles bullets Traffic Director Armband - 07/06/2013 03:56 AM
Passes burn and black light test. Feels weird in hand but tests prove wrong. Mint condition with just little ink stains on the back from the factory as they are the same color.

Posted By: hans 'franz' Re: Traffic Director Armband - 07/06/2013 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: kyles bullets
Passes burn and black light test.

wich test are these exactly if I may ask?
Posted By: kyles bullets Re: Traffic Director Armband - 07/06/2013 04:04 PM
With a black light test, new cloth materials have plastics in it and the color will reflect back a lot brighter than on ww2 era cloth with no plastics. The same with the burn test. I found a loose piece of thread and cut it off and tried it. You get a piece and burn it. If it shrivels up or melts then it is bad. If it turns to ash it is good. You can use a lighter or matches for the burn test it doesn't matter. A black light can be found at a hobby shop or ebay because a black light is for telling if collectible money and stamps are real. The ink shouldn't shine back I believe on these.....
Posted By: hans 'franz' Re: Traffic Director Armband - 07/07/2013 12:24 PM
very interesting smile

got to do these tests on my stuff!

Thanks for sharing the info!
Posted By: Vern Re: Traffic Director Armband - 07/07/2013 01:33 PM
Nylon/polyester in the thread causes it to melt instead of burn. Phosphors used in modern detergents and dyes cause a bright glow under black light. An interesting note, if you launder your period cloth items using most modern detergents, especially ones that advertise "brighter colors and whiter whites", they will glow under black light. You can still find a few "natural" detergents that do not contain phosphors. Check the ingredients list on the label before using them. You can search the web for any you are unsure of wink
Posted By: Marco Pennisi Re: Traffic Director Armband - 06/14/2014 05:32 PM
Nice and uncommon brassard, but it was the "hallmark" of Traffic Control Battalions (Verkehrsregelungs-Bataillon) which were German WW2 Army not Police personnel.
MP
Posted By: Marco Pennisi Re: Traffic Director Armband - 06/14/2014 05:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Vern
[...] You can still find a few "natural" detergents that do not contain phosphors. Check the ingredients list on the label before using them. You can search the web for any you are unsure of wink

I 'd rather leave an item "as is" and never use any detergent at all (I'm aware that somebody is squeamish and admit that some items are really filthy and ********). You never know how a 70-year old fabric or dye react, even to a "natural" detergent. I only risk with less valuable items.
MP
Posted By: kyles bullets Re: Traffic Director Armband - 06/14/2014 11:02 PM
I have found this out after I had posted this that they are army and not police. I have a period photo of a BeVo one in use saved on my computer. I like to leave stuff as is as well. For example, washing a wool party armband can cause the red to bleed onto the roundel and destroy it IMO
© Your new forums