UBB.threads
Posted By: Houston Coates Humidity/Temperature Control - 05/24/2007 03:00 PM
A question by a forum member prompted me to post this--mostly for the new collector but some that are a bit experienced may not be aware of this either.
Humidity control is a must when storing edged weapons in most areas( maybe not Arizona) A significant rise and fall of temperature along with a lack of humidity control will often if not always result in moisture forming on your blades. This will cause rust-and when cleaned off will leave pitting or gray areas. This is especially bad when blades are stored in closed cases-the moisture forms within but can't get out.
Also very bad is the foam lined closed case-the foam gets wet-you can't see it and the piece is destroyed. If you have no humidity control and can't get any-I would suggest storing the blades in the open air -coated with silicone or wax--out of the scabbard--and look at both sides quite often. MANY edged weapons have been damaged by humidity and more each year-even entire collections-I know of several--so be aware and take care.
Posted By: Joe S Re: Humidity/Temperature Control - 07/04/2007 12:10 PM
I did a little bit or research on this last year, because I keep my swords and guns in a gun closet. I found that you must maintain some humidity if you are also storing guns in order to prevent excessive dryness which will crack gun stocks. The point being, do not go overboard with eliminating humidity if you also have guns in the same area. I believe keeping the humidity between 40 and 50 percent with a constant tempurature is ideal. The consistency of the temperature is as important as anything else. I am not an expert and some of the advice I got from reputable sources,such as museum curators, was conflicting so be carefull out there. Joe S
Posted By: MW Re: Humidity/Temperature Control - 07/04/2007 01:59 PM
That is 100% correct. I have done extensive research into this topic and have come to this exact conclusion. It is quite humid where I live now and the use of a dehumidifier is required. I maintain a constant humidity and temperature. It is fluctuation in humidity and temp. that cause damage, especially in composition items. I use 50% humidity because I have rifles also. Also, as Houston indicated, store your daggers outside of the scabbards and give a periodic inspection. If you see oxidation beginning to form on the metal surfaces, it's probably too late.. I use a thin film of high quality gun oil on my blades and inspect daily. I also leave a ceiling fan on to keep the air circulating.....

Mike
© Your new forums