UBB.threads
Posted By: 777 SS NCO sword pommel - 07/07/2007 01:32 PM
I've just got the SS-Unterf�hrer Degen, and I decided to restore it. I'm quite good in political daggers renovation, but this is my 1st degen to work on.
What I'd like to ask is: what's the best way to unscrew the pommel? I don't want to ruin it by using any excessive force, and I don't have any idea what tool can be used. I'm sure there is someone on GDC, who did it before, so it would be nice to know few tips. Thanks Smile
Posted By: torinojo2 Re: SS NCO sword pommel - 07/07/2007 02:31 PM
I know someone is going to scream. But I did it with no problem using apiece of leather and waterpump pliars. I've also been a plumber for 25 years so maybe you shouldn't try that one at home.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS NCO sword pommel - 07/07/2007 04:44 PM
Yes, you need to well pad the cap when using pliers. Sometimes, the pliers penetrate the padding and leave marks on the cap. You need to go very slowly, carefully and use minimum pressure on the pliers. I picked up a tool at Sears that works well and will not mar the metal. I don't recall the name, but it consists of a blue plastic handle and a long black rubber or soft plastic loop. You tighten the loop around the cap and lock it in place. Then, you unscrew the cap as you would with pliers. It also works great on SS/police officer sword pommel caps. It is all but impossible to damage your sword using this tool.
Posted By: 777 Re: SS NCO sword pommel - 07/08/2007 09:58 AM
Thanks, vice & thick rubber combo did the job, no harm to the pommel. Cool
Posted By: Dave L / dblmed Re: SS NCO sword pommel - 07/08/2007 09:56 PM
777 .... Good going.....Pommel OFF & no damage(!)

One other 'trick' to use for these stubborn,, locked Pommels is to carefully 'drip' sewing machine (or similar) oil in the space between the Pommel Cap & the top of the Guard on the grip. (I turn the sword upside down after about 5 minutes, so that the oli will stay near the Pommel threads - & not run down inside the grip, and leave overnight.)

Sometimes even that doesn't soften up the Rust / Oxidation on the Pommel Threads. In that case I use a commercial product (name escapes me - but it's the opposite of LOC-TITE ... so, let's call it LOC-LOOSE).... a good Hardware Store will have it. Follow the same procedure.

Then, as noted, pad / protect the **** out of the Pommel Edges, before using a Metal / Pressure tool! Clean off the material with oil, and replace 'finger tight.' Has worked fine on 30+ Police / SS Degens thus far ....NO broken Pommel Thread base. ..... Dave ....dblmed
© Your new forums