UBB.threads
Posted By: sdp Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 05/20/2006 04:51 PM
While looking at an article on Renaissance Wax, I came across this:

http://www.picreator.co.uk/articles/10_renaissance_metal_de.htm

Could this be used on daggers or would it be too harsh?
Posted By: Vern Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 05/20/2006 05:52 PM
They have a couple of products that look interesting. I'll get some samples and try them out. They may be something we should carry here.
Posted By: sdp Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 05/20/2006 06:01 PM
That's great Vern... the one in the link above looks particularly interesting.
Posted By: Erich-SA Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 05/26/2006 12:35 AM
I agree, the cleaner and the de-corroder look promising. Put me down for some if you order any, Vern!
Thanks!
Erich
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 05/31/2006 04:31 PM
As they are UK based and I am. I have just ordered three products. Wax, De-Coroder liquid and De-Coroder paste (pre lim)

I spoke to the owner and these products are supplied to the Royal Armouries. What better confirmation do we need?

There is also a main US supplier/importer in Florida.
Posted By: sdp Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 05/31/2006 04:40 PM
Spock... any chance you can take some before and after shots after you've obtained the products? Cheers, Scott
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 05/31/2006 08:18 PM
Sure I have a couple of old prussian dualing sabres (practice type) that are totaly covered in rust, I will play with the iron cages on them. I will have the items ordered next week.
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 05/31/2006 08:23 PM
Vern:
Please keep us informed on these products. I for one am always looking for a better way to deal with corrosion.
Jim
Posted By: Vern Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 05/31/2006 10:28 PM
I have samples on the way from the US distributer. We'll see how they work.
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/07/2006 11:06 AM
Hello.

My products arrived today. I have a parts Naval dagger that is in a poor state. I will be starting my first ever restoration project using the Picreator products. I have taken some before pictures. I will post as soon as I have some results. The Brass items are in soak now.
Posted By: sdp Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/07/2006 04:38 PM
Looking forward to the photos.
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/09/2006 10:22 AM
Things are in soak. It turns out that the PRE LIM product is for use on large areas of metal. It does the same job as the liquid de-corroder and also has a very very mild abrasive action.
The liquid is for use on small parts, you just de grease them and drop them in, though it was suggested I do a test first on a small item and check in on the treatment hourly.
I removed some of the corrosion from the blade with 0000 wire wool and treated it with Pre Lim. The Pre Lim dried to a powder that I cleaned off under the tap. There was not a lot of difference. I am now going to test some more. I will stress this is my first ever attempt, you guys may have more success. The nasty looking brass parts (that were a dull dark brown colour) are in soak. Thats it for now.

Attached picture Navypre1net.jpg
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/09/2006 10:22 AM
pic2

Attached picture Navypre2net.jpg
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/09/2006 10:23 AM
pic3 what a beauty......lol

Attached picture Navypre3net.jpg
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/12/2006 07:30 PM
Hello.

So this is what it turned out like. The Brass fittings came out of the de-corroder a matt copper colour. I had no option but to treat them with another cleaner. The colour came back but I was a little worried. I would not immerse this type of fitting in the de-corroder again.

I used some of the Pre Lim on the scabbard it had little effect. In the end I used another cleaner with a tooth brush to get it clean.

The Pre Lim on the blade did not make much difference even after three applications. Though the blade was in a very pitted and rusted state. In the end I treated the blade to a hot wash and used 0000 wire wool and Autosol to bring back some polish, I feel it came out quite well.

The Pre Lim did quite well on the grip and I was pleased with the outcome. I am of the opinion that more testing is needed by someone with more experience. As I said earlier this was my first ever attempt at really going to town on an item.

Attached picture Navypost10net.jpg
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/12/2006 07:33 PM
pic 2

Attached picture Navypost11net.jpg
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/12/2006 07:36 PM
pic3 final one, I may put this into an auction now to see what it fetches......lol even with a missing ring.

Attached picture Navypost13net.jpg
Posted By: sdp Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/12/2006 10:29 PM
I think your first attempt worked out quite well.
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/12/2006 11:14 PM
Thanks......look at pic3 you can just make out the orange/copper colour I saw. in the low areas....
Posted By: sdp Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/13/2006 08:53 AM
There's varied opinions on whether to undertake this sort of work or not but considering the condition it was in before, I think you have given it a new lease of life. It's all down to preservation methods now.
Posted By: Landser Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/14/2006 10:06 AM
Congratulations, I think you have done a fine job there. That piece was definately rough & the result you achieved is remarkable! even more so considering it was a first attempt. I guess there was not much to lose there but I would still have been a bit anxious myself.

Doesn`t even look like the same piece now Smile Wink
Posted By: sdp Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/14/2006 05:31 PM
What I'm interested in is if there is an effect on motto's, that is, would it eat them away some what?
Posted By: spock Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 06/14/2006 06:02 PM
I do not think it is corrosive at all. IE not an acid as such. If it used by the Royal Armouries then I have no concerns on ferrous metal. Brass I would avoid. It is the same dagger........Honest....all I need is a lower hanger mount....anyone have one? Not concerned about the condition :-)
Posted By: joemustang65 Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 02/27/2007 10:18 AM
I was wondering if some of the otherguys have tried out these products?

Vern or SDP ?

I have a very coroded HJ knive that I want to give a clean. I would rather give a (soaking) bath then some rubbing?
Posted By: sdp Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 02/28/2007 04:02 PM
Hi Joe, sorry, I haven't used this particular product myself, however, Spock seemed quite happy with it.
Posted By: tiep Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 03/05/2007 12:24 AM
I think the results are very good on the dagger treated. I think you did a great job, as previously stated : a new lease on life" !!!! Tiep Wink
Posted By: joemustang65 Re: Renaissance Metal De-Corroder - 03/16/2007 02:22 PM
spock,

I just received a little fail of the metal decoder.
But you say that you soaked your stuff.
How did you do this, if I really have to put a blade to soak then I'm afraid that I have no product left.

I noticed that the de-corroder is a bit gelly, so instead of soaking it, it brushed some product on a bad blade, but with little result.
So any help how to use is properly is welcome.
© Your new forums