UBB.threads
Posted By: willie Stuck pommel on early 1st mod luft - 04/10/2005 04:22 AM
I have an 1st model luftwaffe dagger early Eickhorn with nickle fittings. The grip is loose and I cannot turn the pommel cap. I have tryed and am afraid I will snap the tang if I twist to hard. Any idea,s?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Stuck pommel on early 1st mod luft - 04/11/2005 12:03 AM
You can try to get some penetrating oil to the thread area using a hypodermic. Then try turning the pommel in both directions - gingerly. If the tang is really rusty the metal may be brittle enough and snap no matter what you do. I would NOT recommend a torch to heat the pommel. This could loosen the solder thats holding the medallions in place.
Posted By: Fitzer Re: Stuck pommel on early 1st mod luft - 04/11/2005 03:30 AM
Moderately apply WD 40 in the space between the grip and pommel and leave the dagger in a vertical position (with the handle end down) overnight. Then try to loosen it
I had the same issue with an army dagger and this worked without any damage to the grip, pommel or threads.
Posted By: moonshine Re: Stuck pommel on early 1st mod luft - 12/25/2005 09:38 PM
I am having the same problem, but I think it might be cross threaded on to the tang. Any more suggestions?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Stuck pommel on early 1st mod luft - 12/25/2005 11:21 PM
If it would be only crossthreaded you still should be able to get it off. Crossthreading usually causes jamming during installation. If you can get it off the best thing would be to get a tap and die and restore the threads to tang and pommel.
Posted By: anonymous 123 Re: Stuck pommel on early 1st mod luft - 12/25/2005 11:31 PM
One thing in your favor here is the tang part of the blade isn't usually tempered and it would take quite a bit of torque to break it. I would try several applications of penetrating oil and work the pommel back and forth repeatedly. Manfred will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you need a 3MM tap and/or die to correct the thread problem once you get the pommel off. Ace hardware has these in stock.
Jim
Posted By: moonshine Re: Stuck pommel on early 1st mod luft - 12/26/2005 03:44 PM
That worked perfect. It eventually came off and went back together even easier. I picked up three items very cheap and just want to keep them in good shape. I am sorta new to this whole thing.

Maybe someone can assist me with my next issue.
I want to have a scabbard re-leatherd. How difficult is it, or who can I pay to do it for me?
Thanks
Posted By: reds Re: Stuck pommel on early 1st mod luft - 12/26/2005 04:17 PM
Tom Wittman can recover your scabbard or I'm sure some of the members here can help you out.
Posted By: moonshine Re: Stuck pommel on early 1st mod luft - 01/16/2006 11:24 PM
I did send it to Wittman to have recovered and he did a great job for a fair price.

Thanks again
© Your new forums