UBB.threads
Posted By: david walsh 2ND LUFT - BEND ALUMINUM?? - 07/02/2009 01:20 AM
fellas - found a good 2nd luft at a local dealer but the swas is bent a bit inward - just enuf that it wont clear the scabb throat.

is this alloy ductile? if so wd. I need to heat it before bending it back? I'm worried its brittle and at 60 years or so old wont stand for this...

thoughts please?
cheers,

david
Posted By: militarymania Re: 2ND LUFT - BEND ALUMINUM?? - 07/02/2009 02:19 AM
i would use a pair of pliers with the jaws wrapped in tape using gentle pressure,,
Posted By: Grumpy Re: 2ND LUFT - BEND ALUMINUM?? - 07/02/2009 02:21 AM
It probably is aluminum, as you indicated, for it to have bent in the first place. It should not be difficult to straighten, depending on the extent and exact location of the bend. You shouldn't have to heat it, but I wouldn't try it when it is cold. Instead of bending it all at once, I would do the bending in small increments. Try to get the same bending point where it was bent in the first place to avoid a crease or "ripple." Take it slow and easy, checking your progess as you go. If you use pliers, be sure to pad the jaws and/or the swastika to avoid leaving unwanted marks on the soft metal. You might try removing the guard and placing the swastika on a solid, flat surface, face up. Then slowly apply gentle pressure to the top of the guard in a downward motion. If it is not aluminum, I would leave it be.
Posted By: david walsh Re: 2ND LUFT - BEND ALUMINUM?? - 07/08/2009 01:12 AM
many thanks guys! if I can afford the dagg (it's a scarce herder) I'll try the slow-n-gentle route -- esp. b/c if the swas breaks I hear alu is hell to solder -- and it'd prob'ly look like crap!

dw
© Your new forums