UBB.threads
Posted By: Gaspare To repair blade, or not [?] - 01/08/2015 10:58 PM
This has been in my family a long time.... When I got it in the 70s it was in mint condition except normal sharpening..
I was actually trying to learn to shave with it but that's another story cry

So this is it,,,,

Attached picture 011.JPG
Attached picture 013.JPG
Attached picture 012.JPG
Attached picture 010.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: To repair blade, or not [?] - 01/08/2015 11:02 PM
This thing survived many problems in its life including TWO floods in salt water!
But then this chip/break,,,,my problem..

What to do? I hate to leave it like this.. I've seen some real thin blades,,grind it thin? keep the length but make it narrow?
Don't really like that..
How about shortening it? It will be full width,,but shorter?
Any advice from all you blade guys??

Attached picture 014.JPG
Attached picture 015.JPG
Attached picture 014 (2).JPG
Posted By: Dave Re: To repair blade, or not [?] - 01/09/2015 12:09 AM
Gaz

Why mess with it? The razor has a story to tell.

Dave
Posted By: Gaspare Re: To repair blade, or not [?] - 01/09/2015 07:25 AM
well, was thinking of that too.. But that part is real important when you go to use it. wink..

I'm not liking the thinning of the blade choice... A member wrote me why not just simply replace the blade. Yeah easy, but want to keep the name....

It's looking like the shortening.
With that how's it done? Grinder? Dremel with circular cut blade? Hacksaw then a good finish?
Anyone??
Posted By: Vern Re: To repair blade, or not [?] - 01/10/2015 01:33 AM
Doubt if you could cut it with a hacksaw. Use a grinder. Go slow, taking a little at a time and keep the end straight. Don't overheat it and burn the metal. Then do a polish on the end wink
Posted By: Gaspare Re: To repair blade, or not [?] - 01/11/2015 04:30 AM
My buddy says try and find another Red Demon blade!! I'll give it a search but don't think its happening..

Vern think I'm going your way. I have access to a mill, have industrial 'dremel' a Fordham and a heavy duty grinder with fine and med. wheels..
It's a lot to grind, too much heat[?]. Maybe I'll try with a thin carbide wheel and get the bulk of it off then finish grind..
Posted By: Grumpy Re: To repair blade, or not [?] - 01/13/2015 11:56 PM
A blade replacement is the way to go, but nearly impossible. I would leave it as is, otherwise. It's a keepsake and an heirloom, not a "rare collectible" worth a ton of money. It tells its own story.
© Your new forums