UBB.threads
Posted By: sellick8302@rogers.com age finish - 03/07/2014 01:16 AM
Hi guys I have a re-plated Rad leader's dagger. Really nice job but far too shiny. What can I use or do to age the finish? Thanks, Ryan S
Posted By: timboo Re: age finish - 05/06/2014 01:10 PM
I've never tried it, but I've read several articles on the hard boiled egg method. Use at your own risk!

https://www.simplybeadskitclub.com/newsletters.html?mode=issue&issue_id=607&department_id=49

I once aged a reproduction trigger guard on a trapdoor rifle. I actually left it outside exposed to the weather for a few days until it reached the finish of the original metal. Of course I doubt you'd want to leave your dagger out in the rain smile

Posted By: Vern Re: age finish - 05/06/2014 03:58 PM
There are several chemicals that can dull the finish. Do a web search for Aluminum Black, Nickle Black, etc.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: age finish - 05/10/2014 09:42 PM
Abrasive materials such as steel wool, fine sandpaper and emery cloth, and abrasive polishing liquids and pastes can work. Liquid chlorine and acidic and base liquids such as "Aluminum Bright" can also dull the finish. Using these products is always risky. Most, such as chlorine, should be diluted prior to use. usually you should apply and immediately remove, then apply again, etc, to make sure the "aging" process is slowly achieved. I've never done it, but I've heard household vinegar, mildly acidic, works, but takes a long time. But, that might be the wiser course to take. I wouldn't jump in with both feet and go all over the blade at first. I would use very small test areas to see what happens. I understand the best way to get desired results is to slightly overly treat the blade and then use a mild polish to slightly brighten it up. Dealing with metal is usually a touchy process. As always, proceed with caution and go slowing, examining the blade as you go.
© Your new forums