UBB.threads
Posted By: nurseswim general cleaning/maintenance - 04/14/2013 03:12 AM
I have inherited several daggers which were stored for 40 years. what is the best way to clean these for display?
Posted By: stratocaster3 Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 04/14/2013 03:44 AM
I would not clean them. It could significantly reduce the value of the pieces by removing the patina that collectors cherish as a sign of authenticity. If you have specific concerns, forum members can help but would need more info. With all antiques less is more when it comes to cleaning or restoration. A small amount and I mean small amount of gin oil on the blades is all I would do to reduce oxidation. Please do not clean without experienced advice.
Posted By: stratocaster3 Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 04/14/2013 03:46 AM
That is GUN oil
Posted By: JohnZ Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 04/14/2013 09:41 PM
Strato:

I prefer gin oil in a glass. wink

John
Posted By: Jim W Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 04/14/2013 09:58 PM
Yes, but how many glasses of Gin do you have to drink to get a good Gin oil?
Posted By: stratocaster3 Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 04/17/2013 10:57 AM
Come to think of it, I was having a libation as I wrote my reply and recall my glass was empty again. Freudian slip?
Posted By: nurseswim Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 04/17/2013 05:22 PM
thank you, I will leave as they are
Posted By: Dave Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 04/18/2013 02:02 PM
If you are able to, post a picture here. In some cases, cleaning is beneficial and necessary.

Dave
Admin
Posted By: DJDR Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 03/10/2014 06:04 AM
I have read many of the posts in this forum. But I still would like to know what would be best for this dagger ( my Teno on the misc. dagger forum) and scabbard. Renaissance cream, gun oil or nothing? Over the years it's been wrapped in a t shirt and has been just fine. Of course now I worry about something happening to it. Should I just leave it as is?
Thanks for the help!
Posted By: JohnZ Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 03/10/2014 03:18 PM
I don't think that Renwax will harm anything at all. And, it will help clean and preserve whatever it is on.

John
Posted By: kyles bullets Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 03/24/2014 10:02 PM
I just dont want my dagger to rust. So what type of oil would you recommend to put on the dagger?
Posted By: JohnZ Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 03/25/2014 12:27 AM
Kyles:

Don't put oil on daggers, especially plated blades.

Use Renwax instead to protect everything from the moisture in the air.

John
Posted By: kyles bullets Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 03/25/2014 09:09 PM
Ok, thanks John!
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: general cleaning/maintenance - 01/10/2015 02:46 PM
Never use gun oil. Over time, it can darken or spot the blade and, once in the scabbard, will attract dust and that will also contribute to darkening.
I use a silicon base wax and leave the dagger out of the scabbard and put it in a bag made from anti silver tarnish material that is available from most quality fabric stores.
LOOK AT the piece at least on a yearly basis and monitor the humidity in the area and, hopefully, keep it below 50%.
© Your new forums