UBB.threads
Posted By: taff BLADE TO SCABBARD FIT QUESTION - 02/23/2013 01:35 PM
Hi took the blade out of its scabbard this morning but when I went to put it back in it would not go back in all the way but if I put the blade back into the scabbard the wrong way round as the pictures show it is a good fit what can I do to sort this out

Attached picture 1.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Posted By: Dave Re: BLADE TO SCABBARD FIT QUESTION - 02/23/2013 05:02 PM
My guess - Either the dagger was taken apart and the parts put back on the wrong way around or the scabbard weight is loose.
Posted By: taff Re: BLADE TO SCABBARD FIT QUESTION - 02/24/2013 10:31 AM
Must be the weight as the dagger has never been taken apart will I have to take the scabbard apart or is there another way to make the weight go back into place.
Posted By: Dave Re: BLADE TO SCABBARD FIT QUESTION - 02/24/2013 04:59 PM
Taff, no other way to check on the weight.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: BLADE TO SCABBARD FIT QUESTION - 03/02/2013 10:23 PM
If you carefully hold the scabbard and hit the tip on a firm surface with padding on it to prevent ball damage, the weight will usually "seat" itself in the end of the scabbard. It 's a slightly delicate operation and you don't have to slam it down. Just a good firm tap or two should do it. But, there is no guarantee it will remain seated. The best solution is to carefully remove the side screws, so as not to "bugger" them and carefully put them aside so they don't get lost. You then try to remove the throat piece by pulling with your hand. If it is immovable, you will have to "drive" it out? This takes something like a price of wood placed under the lip of the throat and hit with palm of your hand or a few light taps from a hammer. You need to be vey careful not to damage the scabbard and upper fitting. Once the throat begins to move, you might have to tap either side to extract it. Be sure to remember which is the front because the screws will not necessarily align if you out the throat fitting in backwards. Remove the lower fitting screws. The lead weight should now slide out, if loose. Be sure you know which is the front for reassembly. Some merely apply adhesive to the the weight, reinsert it and ensure it is properly seated. The weight screw holes should align with those in the lower scabbard. For me, it is preferable to slightly distort the weight screw holes with a tool, so the screws will "catch " in them properly. You can test this before reinserting the weight. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. You might have to give the throat fitting a light tap or two to seat it. Usually, if you shake the scabbard up and down, holding vertically, you can hear and feel the weight rattling if it is loose.
Posted By: taff Re: BLADE TO SCABBARD FIT QUESTION - 03/09/2013 12:30 PM
Thank you Grumpy it worked by carefully giving the tip a few good taps.
© Your new forums