UBB.threads
Posted By: Swordfish A Renwax No-No - 10/11/2006 12:30 AM
Ok,
So I definitely love the Renwax. Very useful indeed. But, avoid using it on sake cups/bottles. I had applied some to an Imperial sake cup and noticed what looked like some of the painted designs/Kanji became faded. As I wasn't sure if it was all in my mind, I tried to Renwax a sake bootle. Low and behold, it indeed removed some of the Hinomarus paint. Don't know why, but I suspect it has to do with the fact that the Renwax is a petro based product.

Just an FYI I learned from experience. Otherwise, it's a great product Smile
Posted By: Vern Re: A Renwax No-No - 10/11/2006 03:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I've never seen that problem before.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: A Renwax No-No - 10/11/2006 04:01 AM
HI

No need to use anything on porcelin...I hate to see anything used on any military items except for those items that are in Horrible condition.
Posted By: eliteman Re: A Renwax No-No - 10/12/2006 06:03 PM
Could ren-waz be applied on german visor caps? Thanks
Posted By: Dow Cross Re: A Renwax No-No - 11/18/2006 05:56 PM
How long does Ren Wax protects metal surfaces before you have to re apply?
Posted By: Vern Re: A Renwax No-No - 11/18/2006 08:07 PM
If the items aren't handled, I reapply once a year. I like to put it on if they have been examined just to keep them protected.
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: A Renwax No-No - 11/18/2006 11:12 PM
Thanks for the post!Although I know Ren-Wax is considered to be safe for many things I will never attempt it for porcelin Items .G.
Posted By: Degens Re: A Renwax No-No - 12/01/2006 12:11 PM
Regarding RENWAX and patina, I have always wondered whether an army dagger for example with the fittings renwaxed would continue to patina?, or would the RENWAX seal the existing finish permanantly until the wax was removed. I personally like my fittings to darken with age and so am reluctant to add anything to the fittings although I do treat the blade and grip. Is this logical?
Sorry to hijack the post but thought it easier than starting a new thread.
Posted By: Swordfish Re: A Renwax No-No - 12/01/2006 09:49 PM
Degens,
This is my opinion soley based off personal experperience.

I had semi-chromed an Army about 3 or 4 years ago. The dagger has subsequently been on display and has unquestionably re-patina'd...not to the point where it was but it has significantly darkened since the cleaning. After Renwaxing the dagger, fittings, blade, etc., I have noticed that the oxidation process appears to have stopped. I suspect because the wax creates a barrier the oxidation is hampered.

I'm not reccommending an experiment, but these are only my findings based off experience.
Posted By: johnrtse Re: A Renwax No-No - 12/10/2006 04:01 AM
In my opinion, patina is simply a form of corrosion or degradation- on a minute scale. The main benefit of patina to collectors in our hobby is to verify or substantiate authenticity. In a basic sense, patina is bad (when it comes to the integrity of an artifact).

If we can slow down the effects of patina/corrosion on the items in our collections, then we are preserving them for future generations.

More power to Renwax- I am a user and a believer!

John
Posted By: janjan Re: A Renwax No-No - 12/10/2006 07:38 AM
Hi
Where can I get that Renwax here in Europe?
Posted By: zorro Re: A Renwax No-No - 12/10/2006 05:20 PM
I do not think patina is corrosion.If it were when it was removed the surface would have some tell tale sign.Patina is a good thing.I think it protects.Many a Tiffany lamp has been ruined buy polishing it up.I am leary of any "The lastest thing products"JMO,But you know that and it will be the last time I say it.
Posted By: sdp Re: A Renwax No-No - 12/10/2006 06:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by janjan:
Hi
Where can I get that Renwax here in Europe?

There's plenty of places to purchase it from as it's a UK product.

eBay is usually good or you can try here, along with their other products:

http://www.picreator.co.uk/articles/3_renaissance_wax.htm
Posted By: nats Re: A Renwax No-No - 12/11/2006 03:30 PM
Hi janjan,heres some on ebay,nats

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2200...idgettype=osi_widget

http://members.lycos.nl/stantheman/
© Your new forums