UBB.threads
Posted By: 8541 SS Marked 84/98 bayonet - 07/22/2021 12:17 AM
Hello, odd one just showed up. A fellow collector, knowing I collect German rifles and pistols, asked me about a K98 bayonet with no other markings other than a small deep SS (runes) marking just below the guard on the blade. All fine finish pre war rust blue, unsharpend, pointy tip, nothing ground, nothing removed. No proofs, no date, no maker on bayonet or scabbard. Very close inspection finds a number 6818 on the side on the locking stud (as I have seen before) - but that is it. it has a well used high gloss dress frog. I checked Wittmann and Johnson books plus several others - nothing (except death head one and dress etched). What throws me is no other markings? Let me know what you think.

Attached picture MVC-011F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-012F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-013F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-014F.JPG
Attached picture MVC-015F.JPG
Posted By: Dave Re: SS Marked 84/98 bayonet - 07/22/2021 01:35 AM
Hello, there, '41,

And welcome to GDC. We appreciate your joining up and posting that bayonet.

Just now, a lot of the guys are at the SOS show in Kentucky, so answers may be slow.

I'm an SS/SA dagger guy, myself, but I don't think those runes are period ... but wait for the experts.

Dave
Admin
Posted By: Gaspare Re: SS Marked 84/98 bayonet - 07/22/2021 04:21 AM
Welcome 8541!...

I'm not a blade guy,,, But,,, I totally agree with Dave,,those runes are more of the 4th reich era...
Posted By: seany Re: SS Marked 84/98 bayonet - 07/22/2021 03:56 PM
Welcome to the group, Not period at all, just post war added to ramp the price up
© Your new forums