UBB.threads
Posted By: Duzig AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 02:10 AM
Hello all,
I am using the free version of avg 7 right now but in order to keep it updated I have to install avg8(free version also). I have been told by some people that a virus ware called avast is better and has more stuff,such as spyware etc in it than avg has. I have been happy with avg so hesitate to remove it and add something else. Any opinions on avg versus avast? Also has anyone had any problems removing avg in the event I decide to use avast? I ask because on my old computer I had zone alarm,and when I removed it it removed a file that was needed by windows. I had to reinstall the zone alarm to alleviate the problem. I would hope to avoid any troubles like that if I remove avg. Thanks for any help or info.
Duzig(Bill)
Posted By: Ed Martin Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 03:45 AM
I also use AVG and I'm happy with it.They are saying 7.5 will not get update after 5/31 and to update to 8.0.Problem is when I click to update nothing happens ???? anyone with this problem ?
Posted By: nats Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 10:02 AM
I have downloaded AVG 8.0 to replace my AVG 7.the newer version seems to have more spyware added.On the first scan the new AGV found 3 Trojan horse virus's on my computor. nats

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download-avg-anti-virus-free-edition

http://www.stan-the-man.tk/
Posted By: Degens Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 10:07 AM
NOD32 for me. No annoying pop ups unless it finds something, it scans everything including e-mail attachments, dodgy websites and downloaded files / /pictures etc in the background. Automatic updates to the signature scan file 2 or 3 times daily and uses minimal processing power.
Posted By: paulbear Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 02:46 PM
I just switched to avast on the advice of my high speed provider from agv and found right away that avast uses much less resources to run , keeps updated automaticaly,freeware,more tools. Very pleased so far

PAUL
Posted By: John Pepera Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 05:22 PM
Is AVG 8.0 and avast a free service and download?

Is there a difference between the two above items?
Posted By: Ed Martin Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 08:17 PM
John ,yes AVG 8.0 is free.Nats thanks for the link.They keep telling me to update but everytime I clicked nothing happened.Now I just have to reconfig my home page ??
Posted By: Stephane Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 09:14 PM
Last weekend I also made the switch from AVG 7.5 to Avast. I have read positive reviews of Avast, we will see how it goes.
Posted By: LH 600 Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 10:57 PM
Y es the Avast is good.Free to download but you must register with name and E mail etc. I have that on my laptop. My home station have Norman Internet Control+

Cool
Posted By: Walter Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/29/2008 11:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Degens:
NOD32 for me. No annoying pop ups unless it finds something, it scans everything including e-mail attachments, dodgy websites and downloaded files / /pictures etc in the background. Automatic updates to the signature scan file 2 or 3 times daily and uses minimal processing power.

100% AGREE!
NOD32 Eset beats all ativirus softwares with speed, reliability and resources requirement.
Compare the ESET NOD32 Antivirus vs. Competition

I use ESET Smart Security 3.0.621 with included firewall, antispam and antispyware.
NOT FREE but worth each single penny.
Posted By: Duzig Re: AVG vs Avast? - 05/31/2008 02:49 AM
Hello all,
Thanks to all for the help and info. I also have installed avast so we'll see how things go. I hope to see the thread continue some with comments and opinions from others. Again thanks
Duzig(Bill)
Posted By: Ed Martin Re: AVG vs Avast? - 06/11/2008 02:14 AM
Don't know if anyone else with the new AVG is having a problem .since loading I can't get Spirit air e-mails to open, with Words I'm running in to "Runtime Errors" and lose what ever I'm writing.Never had problems till I reloaded new AVG.May delete the program and try the other one.
© Your new forums