UBB.threads
Posted By: lar Reg. Stein Opinions - 03/28/2006 10:59 PM
Hi Guys, would like to post this stein and get some information on it if possible.
Thanks in advance

Description: impstein1
Attached picture impstein1.jpg
Posted By: lar Re: Reg. Stein Opinions - 03/28/2006 11:00 PM
another pic

Description: impstein2
Attached picture impstein2.jpg
Posted By: lar Re: Reg. Stein Opinions - 03/28/2006 11:02 PM
last one. please let me know if I should post any other close ups or not.
Thanks

Description: impstein3
Attached picture impstein3.jpg
Posted By: Roland Scheck Re: Reg. Stein Opinions - 03/29/2006 01:22 AM
good looking stein...in spite of all the cursive writing...however I would like to see some more pics of the filial...it might be a replacement filial...Roland.
Posted By: Texasuberalles Re: Reg. Stein Opinions - 03/29/2006 10:36 PM
Agree with the lid comments.
Close ups of the lid where the strap attaches to the handle would be helpful as well as PIX of ther thumblift and finial as well.
Posted By: lar Re: Reg. Stein Opinions - 03/31/2006 01:08 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. Roland can you explain what you meant by the cursive writting comment? I'm new to these items, as always been more into the swords.
Also here is the pic of the handle

Attached picture reghandle.jpg
Posted By: Roland Scheck Re: Reg. Stein Opinions - 03/31/2006 02:13 AM
that filial and the thumblift are defenitely replacement...

as to the cursive writing...most of the post war GI repros were done in cursive...although as you can see some early ones were also in cursive...usually...pre WWI all german was written in Gothic or S�tterlin script...Roland.
Posted By: lar Re: Reg. Stein Opinions - 03/31/2006 02:58 AM
Thanks for all the input Roland. WHen you say that some parts are replacememt, how can a collector tell this, and can you tell from what time period they were replaced?
Posted By: Roland Scheck Re: Reg. Stein Opinions - 03/31/2006 04:33 PM
as you can tell by looking at the filial it has been on there for a long long time...it would diminish the value some...just how much I would be unable to tell...behaps by 25%...the thumblifs were usually with a motive from the state...such as bavaria used an lion and baden w�rtemberg and eagle thumblift...still a nice stein...regards...Roland.
Posted By: Johann Re: Reg. Stein Opinions - 04/01/2006 12:26 AM
It could very well be a period done replacement. That is deffinately an early 1900's civilian stein lid...Why would they have replaced the lid? Good question. If it were dropped and bent so that it didn't open/close properly. Or if were a glass prism top, it could have been broken. My Great-Grandfather's reservistkr�g is a prism. He told us that the soldiers didn't bring these home, but would leave them at the hoffbr�u haus, where the frauline would wash them.
© Your new forums