UBB.threads
Posted By: fatguy U.S. Wings - 02/01/2007 07:20 PM
Recent pickup...I don't know much about this stuff...top 3 are marked sterling....bottom one only says 'acid free'...any info including approx. values will be appreciated.....

Thanks

Description: 1
Attached picture wings_001.jpg
Posted By: fatguy Re: U.S. Wings - 02/01/2007 07:22 PM
inside top:

maker mark????

Description: 2
Attached picture wings_006.jpg
Posted By: fatguy Re: U.S. Wings - 02/01/2007 07:25 PM
middle two:both same marks

Description: 2
Attached picture wings_008.jpg
Posted By: Swordfish Re: U.S. Wings - 02/07/2007 01:26 AM
http://www.ww2wings.com/main.shtml

Great website regarding wings. AMICO was a common producer of avaiation wings, badges, etc. I cannot recall seing the "acid free" marking however.

Bottom prop/wing is a lapel pin. I think something in the neighborhood of $60-70 for the lot should be accurate.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: fatguy Re: U.S. Wings - 02/07/2007 12:11 PM
Baron,

Thanks for the info.........
Posted By: Gary B Re: U.S. Wings - 04/20/2007 06:14 PM
Dear Lou,

The wings you picture are, from top to bottom, Bombardier, Bombardier, Observer and Air Corps Lapel Insignia for an officer.

The maker mark in the shield is for N.S. Meyer. NS Meyer is still in business today so one has to be careful when purchasing wings with their maker mark. The shield symbol has changed slightly over time so that is one way to date the wing. The other way is how far the pin opens up. This method is believed by some and not others. If the pin opens and stops at approx 60 degrees it is a WWII piece. If it flops all the way open, it is post war. Again this is not necessarily a 100% formula.

Depending where you are buying/selling the pieces, the price will vary widely. For the full sized bombardier wings $55-$75 on ebay; a wing dealer would ask higher. For mini $40, for Observer wing perhaps $80-$125 on ebay but up to $200 on a dealers site.

Lapel insignia, couple bucks at best.

Gary B
Posted By: fatguy Re: U.S. Wings - 04/20/2007 10:43 PM
Gary,

Thanks for the info.....

regards,

Lou
© Your new forums