UBB.threads
Posted By: Rick Turner Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/28/2006 06:10 PM
Picked this tip up recently, I think it was in a Tamiya publication, large scale leaves are made easy with this how-to tip. Wink

For 1/15th, 1/16th, 1/18th range of scales try one of these handy leaf punches that the scrapbook collectors use. This particular punch made by Fiskars not only gives you various types of leaves on the same punch but will also punch two at a time in the smaller sizes.

The shape in the middle is for trimming material to make corner pieces for the scrapbook pages. I found this was useful in producing random looking “portions” of leaves for additional ground cover.

I found numerous single style punches that only do one type of leaf at a time. I also found punches that would be appropriate for larger scales. Unfortunately I found nothing small enough for 1/35th! Frown

If someone knows of a punch that will work for 1/35th please give me a yell. These can be found at any well stock arts and craft store. Smile

Rick Cool

Attached picture Leaf_01.JPG
Posted By: Rick Turner Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/28/2006 06:15 PM
You can use any type of leaf to start with, but don't start with leaves that have already dried out. Better to use leaves that are still a little moist and easier to start with the tips first.

Attached picture Leaf_02.JPG
Posted By: Rick Turner Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/28/2006 06:20 PM
You need to work with the pieces a little bit to insert them into the punch, leaves don't go in the thing as easy as paper products do. Once you've used up the easy pieces (the tips) just break the leaf down into chunks and work with the smaller pieces untill you run out of useful material.

Attached picture Leaf_03.JPG
Posted By: Rick Turner Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/28/2006 06:23 PM
...from the bottom. When looking from the bottom you can line up the vains in the leaf to be punched, looks really good when they dry out. Wink

Attached picture Leaf_04.JPG
Posted By: Rick Turner Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/28/2006 06:25 PM
Badda-bing! A little piece of nature. Wink

Attached picture Leaf_05.JPG
Posted By: Rick Turner Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/28/2006 06:26 PM
Bamm! Two at a time plus a side of acorn. Razz

Attached picture Leaf_06.JPG
Posted By: Rick Turner Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/28/2006 07:03 PM
Finished product, as the leaves dry they will curl a little and turn in their various natural dried colors. Once finished with drying, the leaves are stored in a small glass bottle and are ready for future projects. Smile

Rick Cool

Attached picture Leaf_07.JPG
Posted By: B�rse Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/28/2006 11:33 PM
This is so fricking cool.

Thanks for the tip. Too bad they don't come in 1/35th or other model scales.
Posted By: Bernie Brule Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/29/2006 03:50 AM
Way cool Rick. Where would you get one of those contraptions? Michaels?
Posted By: Rick Turner Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/29/2006 01:59 PM
Isn't that neat? Yup, the Michaels here had several types starting at this size and going up. Still lookin' for one smaller. I'm going to start checking on the 'net next.

Rick Cool
Posted By: steveh Re: Scale Leaves Made Easy - 12/30/2006 11:33 AM
very good!, just proves that with a little thought, there`s a way round every obstacle!!. cheers, steve. Big Grin
© Your new forums