Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Thread Like Summary
C. Wetzel-20609
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by C. Wetzel-20609
C. Wetzel-20609
I have acquired a type of German hunting knife that was also available during the Great War about 1915-1918. The knife is marked "ANTON WINGEN JR., FABRIK FEINER STAHLWAREN, SOLINGEN" and on the reverse is marked "DEUTSCHER BRUMMER" with "(D. R. G. M.)" underneath and artillery shell above with "42er". This Anton Wingen Jr. makers mark is found on page 569 of "German Knife and Sword Makers 1850-1945" by J. Anthony Carter and is listed as mark # 1. This knife was acquired from Canada.

I have found two knives with another variation of this knife, with the # 4 makers mark that has the "Othello head with shoulders" and was registered in 1917. Both of these knives have a brown snap button on the sheath. The knives with the # 1 Anton Wingen Jr. makers mark have a black snap button with a "snowflake" design on the button.

These knives were carried during the Great War in the 1915-1918 period with lots of period pictures to prove this fact. Although most were probably used for camp knives cutting meat and cheese and limited use on patrols and trench raids. These knives were also sold after the war for hunting in memory of past war service.

This knife was also available and listed in a 1930's Anton Wingen Jr. catalog and these knives have "(Ges. Geschutzt)" below "DEUTSCHER BRUMMER" instead of "(D. R. G. M.)" and have a black snap button that has no design?. I do not know what makers mark these knives have but would guess it is the # 6 makers mark with "ANTON WINGEN JR." above a standing knight with sword and "SOLINGEN" underneath.

These knives were also recreated in 1988 by Anton Wingen Jr. and thankfully are marked with the "Othello head with no shoulders" over "OTHELLO, ROSTFREI" and "Handmade by Anton Wingen jr., Solingen Germany".

Also note that in the 1915-1918 period and maybe later, these knives were also made by J. H. Becker, Solingen. See J. Anthony Carter page 92.
Liked Replies
by chevalier2022
chevalier2022
I must apologize any confusion wich my post # 357558 might have caused.
I cross-ched two additional German filess for possible supplements:

1 - Eugen von Halász de Darbas published in 1996 a well researched book 'Deutsche Kampfmesser' (in English: German Fighting Knives)
Two options of the "DEUTSCHER BRUMMER" knives are being featured:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1.1 Anton Wingen Jr. cutler's early pattern knife illustrated with "left hand side" photo: starting letters "D..." and "B..." with large 'loop' style underlining, "D.R.G.M." mark (see post # #357544) , black color ferrule and black cap at the bottom end .
The sheath is said to be out of metal with both press button safety for the guard and the belt loop.
The description is mentioning "J.H. Becker Solingen" as optional cutler.
1.2 A `'private / civilian' option, illustrated from the reverse side, reverse blade side without etching (front / left hand blade side possible marking unknown!)
The sheath out of brown lether with silver color tip, press button safety for the guard, belt buckle safety for the knife handle

2 - Christian Méry 'Deutsche Kampfmesser 1914-1918' (German edition published in 2013 by Wieland Verlag), original edition 'German Combat Knives 1914-1945" published in France by 'Histoire & Collections
Two illustrations are showing up the front (left hand) side of two Anton Wingen knives.
One knife's blade has an identical mark to Eugen von Halasz's # 1,1 mark,
and the the sheath is of "German Nicker knife / Bavarian Dress Knife Style" i.e. a leather sheath without belt loop, and metal fittings both at top and bottom end.
The other knife's photo is of quite poor quality, you cannot identify the left hand side's blade marking, it is said to be "Deutscher Brummer".
The leather belt sheath is quite unique with two belt loops, blade cover of 'German Nicker style', with a pommel as decoration.

chevalier2022
1 member likes this
by chevalier2022
chevalier2022
My collector friend finally is tating, that he has misplaced the original 1915 Anton Wingen jr. sales catalog, that he had copied for me long time ago.
Thus I can post the quite bad scans which I received that time:

regards

chev22
1 member likes this
by chevalier2022
chevalier2022
In post # 357479 C. Wetzel introduced the 'Deutscher Brummer' pattern with a quite modern script of GEBR. MÜLLER STUTTGART as distributer's mark.

By chance I sicovered in my files two illustrations from corresponding with a German collector friend in 2016.
Please not the different more vintage script of GEBR. MÜLLER STUTTGART.

chevalier2022
1 member likes this
by chevalier2022
chevalier2022
Thank you for sharing your "Deutscher Brummer" illustrations and information!

Originally Posted by C. Wetzel-20609
... This knife was also available and listed in a 1930's Anton Wingen Jr. catalog and these knives have "(Ges. Geschutzt)" below "DEUTSCHER BRUMMER" instead of "(D. R. G. M.)" and have a black snap button that has no design?. I do not know what makers mark these knives have but would guess it is the # 6 makers mark with "ANTON WINGEN JR." above a standing knight with sword and "SOLINGEN" underneath. ...

I am off from home and have no access to my complete archieves right now. Anyway on my computer I am listing a 1930 Anton Wingen folder with this illustration:

More than one decade has passed since the end of WWI, noone is being alerted that WWII might begin sometime under NSDAP/Nazi regime. So note Anton Wingen's description as "beliebtes Pafadfindermesser" (in English: pupular boy scout knife)!

Originally Posted by C. Wetzel-20609
... Also note that in the 1915-1918 period and maybe later, these knives were also made by J. H. Becker, Solingen. See J. Anthony Carter page 92.

Anton Wingen Jr. was one of very few Solingen cutlers with an own drop forge for forging their own blade blanks. Such 'J.H. Becker' marked "Deutscher Brummer" knives surely were being made under contract by Anton Wingen cutler exclusively for J.H. Becker. Even if Wingen's DRGM protection rights might have been expired, making dies for such a blade pattern would not have been an economicly task for competing other Solingen forges.

regards
chevalier2022
1 member likes this
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,940 SS Bayonets
1,762,764 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,794 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/23/2024 02:22 PM
Fantastic Current Military Unit Ring
by Gaspare - 04/23/2024 02:00 AM
S-98 nA. Bayonet
by lakesidetrader - 04/22/2024 01:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Knife of the Dutch youth organization.
by Vik - 04/26/2024 05:45 AM
SS and other rare ID tags. And dug collection
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 03:30 AM
Postwar Military PCs.
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 01:22 AM
Mine service metal insignia.
by derjager - 04/26/2024 01:00 AM
Rings & Things for the MAX
by Gaspare - 04/26/2024 12:48 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,670
Posts329,065
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
5 members (Miroslav, Vik, Stephen, Jamesol2, polop), 751 guests, and 141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod