Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Thread Like Summary
Evgeniy, Sarcasmos, Stephen, Tanker
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#353938 03/04/2022 8:51 PM
by Gaspare
Gaspare
So,, a few of you have already gotten Antonio's book. And/or have had a bunch of experience...

- What say you guys? Yay or nay.?
Liked Replies
#353969 Mar 7th a 05:11 AM
by Gaspare
Gaspare
Evgeniy and you others are correct.. It is , kind of, a decent fake but a fake none the less..

Problem is,,,,this HR is sold with a CoA from Don.!.. The cert is for sure authentic.. The ring now owned by a dealer, in question I'm pretty sure has been sold twice and refunded twice!

- So,,, Some tips;
IF bad photos make sure you have a refund policy before you buy!
Don God love him has had his day.. Anything he has certified in the past must be scrutinized to the Nth degree!
Ground Dug doesn't prove authenticity nor is it a provenance.
Direct in hand comparisons [or dam good photos] of the same year HR could help..
Read all the research before you buy!
Stories also don't prove a ring ,,,nor a HR in a grouping with everything else authentic means nothing..

Our forums help. There are guys with many years experience with HRs and the fakes of HRs. Don's book has some good overall history and facts for beginners who study the HR.. While Antonios new book now seems to be of great help. Exhaustive scientific findings that put away the single die pressed theory .

IF any of you have more tips please feel free to help and add them here,,,thanks.

Be careful guys as always,,,and happy hunting...,G.
2 members like this
#354032 Mar 9th a 10:42 PM
by Gaspare
Gaspare
Chris,,of course the choice is yours... Many years ago there was some very good copies being shown by a Japanese member. Not sure IF they were made there or[?]...OK. anyway

We've had other members around that time that had good HRs some with infamous personalities names etc.

- My position was,,,,,Since the copies were very good [for the time] the best thing to do would be to list and show the name to safe guard against counterfeiting!
Why would that work you might ask? -
Lets say a counterfeiter claims to have a infamous named H.R. He explains its in bad shape, extreme wear, and ground dug,,,those here proclaim it authentic. . - Some time passes and another member says 'hey look at this HR my uncle brought home from the war'. It is proclaimed authentic! Then he posts more photos of the ring and guess what? its the same name and date!. - Who has the real HR? Many will say the counterfeit HR because it was shown years before,and, those in the know say its real.
In reality it is the 2nd HR brought home by the vet that is authentic... again,Just my point of view...

There is a member that still posts here and might want to relate his experience.

and guys,,,don't worry who found out what or where. We are all in this hobby together and the best information comes with collaboration! [you can always add 'Photos Credit': which is nice if they're not yours and your sure ownership]...
2 members like this
#353986 Mar 7th a 08:15 PM
by Sarcasmos
Sarcasmos
A key point here is to scrutinize any story or grouping, even if everything is authentic! One example I will use here is still available! The large militaria site The Ruptured Duck is currently selling a grouping that is named to SS General Dr. Werner Best, the grouping is said to come from a Danish Policeman who confiscated the items. In the grouping is *supposedly* Dr. Werner Best's original Totenkopfring (Honor Ring). However, when I did some digging, I found out that Dr. Best was awarded his ring in 1934, or even possibly 1933, and the ring offered on the site is a 1941 dated ring, FAR too late of a date to be Best's. After posting about this discovery on the WAF, I found out that the ring was originally sold by Kai Winkler in 2009, by itself, and not part of any grouping, for just under 3500 Euro, and was not named to Werner Best. However, the ring resurfaced in 2016 when Hermann Historica auctioned off the ring, now suddenly together with this grouping and named to Werner Best for significantly more than the original 3500. I contacted Bill, the owner of the site and presented what I had found, and he had the ring certified by DB, who saw the grouping with the ring and certified it as a "Re-issued Honor Ring to Doctor Werner Best".

If the ring was a reissue, we would see the original award date, so if it was the ring of Dr. Best, it would be a 40's style ring with a 33 or 34 date on the inside, not an entirely new date. The entire grouping is currently for sale on the Ruptured Duck site for $26,750.00 USD. Long story short: ALWAYS DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND DUE DILIGENCE. I had a friend who asked me for advice on if I believed the ring was original, and if it belonged to Werner Best as he was interested in buying it, and when I showed him what I found he was shocked. I like to think I saved him a significant amount of money there.

https://www.therupturedduck.com/pro...-wow?_pos=2&_sid=4b7cbba07&_ss=r

Best regards,
Sarcasmos
1 member likes this
#354018 Mar 9th a 02:22 PM
by Tanker
Tanker
Not posting pics doesn't do anything for the thread. Without seeings pics, you would have probably been better offto skip the post. Not mad, just confused why a person would make a post then not post a picture.
1 member likes this
Popular Topics(Views)
2,263,672 SS Bayonets
1,762,071 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,032 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Small pennant question.
by Dutchman - 04/07/2024 08:57 PM
Latest New Posts
Overslept a development???
by Gerrit1963 - 04/18/2024 07:04 AM
Study and learning materials
by Gaspare - 04/17/2024 02:23 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/17/2024 01:58 AM
Bulgarian Brannik youth knife - real?
by wotan - 04/15/2024 06:46 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,667
Posts329,021
Members7,517
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
5 members (Stephen, jean, sod, Evgeniy, Herman V. (aka Herr Mann)), 691 guests, and 75 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod