Translate German to English - Click here to open Altavista's Babel Fish Translator Click here to learn about all those symbols by people's names.

leftlogo.jpg (20709 bytes)

Upgrade to Premium Membership

Thread Like Summary
Mahler, Stephen
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Stephen
Stephen
Friends,

Is it true that if a maker’s mark or silver mark is on the outside of the shank, a ring can‘t be German Third Reich period? OK, on 95% of our rings, the stamps are inside the shank or the back of the cartouche. The only two rings in my collection that have a stamp on the outside are a Finnish one and a Dutch one. Finally, I was informed by someone who usually knows what he’s talking about that no German ring has a makers mark or hallmark on the outside.

Is this really true? You guys also know what you’re talking about. It’s a question that comes up reasonably often. I would appreciate your advice.
Thanks.
Stephen
Liked Replies
by Mahler
Mahler
Not exactly true, some countries have laws that imported jewelry must be stamped to show it's imported silver. Some rings are stamped on the outside of the ringband because of it. Also, if you have a Finnish ring that has the silver content stamped in numbers instead of the finnish silverstamp, it's most likely foreign ring that someone bought outside of Finland.
1 member likes this
by Mahler
Mahler
It's a tool you put the ring on, like a steel stick and you can hammer it without bending it, it's also used to reshape a ring that's bent / been squeezed.
1 member likes this
by benten
benten
Stephen, it’s good you put this topic here again.

Mahler, I didn’t know how they marked a ring at the outside; you picture shows it very well .

Here a skullring, I presume it's original ? marked inside with the German stamp for silver: 835 . Unfortunatelly cleaned by the German jewler, where I bought the ring.

Outside the ring is on the backside a Dutch curled V-stamp , which stands for foreign silver imported to Holland.
PLease see pics:
1 member likes this
by Stephen
Stephen
Thanks, Mahler. I guess that's possible in some cases but that Finnish ring is no repro.
1 member likes this
Popular Topics(Views)
2,264,099 SS Bayonets
1,762,267 Teno Insignia Set
1,131,233 westwall rings
Latest New Threads
Mastering Mono: A Guide to Shopify Theme Customization
by Slash Theme - 04/19/2024 11:10 AM
Overslept a development???
by wotan - 04/15/2024 03:30 PM
Japanese Dagger
by Mikee - 04/14/2024 04:48 PM
Unmarked Kriegsmarine Dagger
by Coyote_Kyle - 04/12/2024 07:07 PM
Das Alte Schutzenscheibe (The old Shooting Target)
by C. Wetzel-20609 - 04/10/2024 09:52 PM
Latest New Posts
NSKK Dolch fur Führer, Eickhorn
by sellick8302@rogers.com - 04/20/2024 06:37 AM
3rd reich cards/photos
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 03:14 AM
Imperial Graphic Arts ...
by Dean Perdue - 04/20/2024 02:44 AM
Frog question.
by Vern - 04/20/2024 12:27 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics31,668
Posts329,045
Members7,519
Most Online5,900
Dec 19th, 2019
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ric Ferrari, Stephen, ollar, Documentalist, jean, Don Scowen), 772 guests, and 93 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod